snowflake food quantity

reef46

I found a snowflake for $10 dollars so I picked him up :). I have been feeding it silversides and was wondering how much I sould feed him. I just did a feeding because he was out prowling around for food and he ended up eating 2 silversides! This eel is only about 8inches long. Is this too much food? or will it stop eating when it is full?

squirreloso

Originally Posted by reef46
I found a snowflake for $10 dollars so I picked him up :). I have been feeding it silversides and was wondering how much I sould feed him. I just did a feeding because he was out prowling around for food and he ended up eating 2 silversides! This eel is only about 8inches long. Is this too much food? or will it stop eating when it is full?
wow good find for 10 bux! :)
feed until his belly is full, they dont need to eat everyday, 4-5 times a week is fine.
dont feed silversides often, snowflakes are more of a shrimp,crab,mussle,clam feeder. silversides can be fed once per week.
they need a varied diet to thrive, not just one thing
:)

grabbitt

How about for smaller eels?
My snowflake is only about 5 inches (and I got him for free
).
Should I just shoot some mysis around him and see if he takes?
I cut up some krill for him last night, but the smallest chunk I could get still seemed to big and he wasn't interested anyway...
(Not trying to thread jack)

squirreloso

Originally Posted by GRabbitt
How about for smaller eels?
My snowflake is only about 5 inches (and I got him for free
).
Should I just shoot some mysis around him and see if he takes?
I cut up some krill for him last night, but the smallest chunk I could get still seemed to big and he wasn't interested anyway...
(Not trying to thread jack)
5" he must be adorable! :)
buy frozen food at the petstore, its usually smaller and softer than grocery store stuff.
i would try squid or clams cut up in thin strips. san fransisco bay brand has all that stuff and its sold in ***** and petsmart.
frozen mysis..hmm i dunno, its kinda too small
you can try frozen silversides, i find these to be very soft and are easily cut or even broken by the eel with a good head shake.
silversides should only be used as a treat, but it might help in the beginning to get him to eat.
snowflakes dont eat everyday in the wild and are often overfed in the aquarium leading to hunger strikes. a hungry eel is a healthy eel, and overfed one is a dead one