So. Cal (Los Angeles) Frag Swap

spsfreak100

Originally posted by Old Yeller Tang
Btw, I tried an angle shot of my tank with yet again, no luck!:( Still got to play with the camera more.

That S. hystrix looks nice! What size are you resizing your pictures to? Remember to make the file size as large as you can before you take the picture. Use auto focus and carefully focus in on the subject. Once you've focused, snap the shot. You should then get a picture on your computer that's too large to fit on the screen. You could then cut and paste out an area within that picture, and save that second picture you took onto your computer. Or, you could simply resize the original picture down to 640x480.
I think you are nearby where Carlos lives, correct? If so, I may be able to stop by one day and take a look at your tank! I'm may be going down to Carlos's house sometime (date yet to be discussed), so if it's alright with you, I could also stop by your place too :)
how did the frag swap go guys>>>>>>>>i can only imagine of a frag swap in LA.......hmmmmmmm
good luck
It went quite well! I stayed at Dave's until around 8:30PM. I was lucky, as Dave had some "Extra" corals that he didn't want, so I also picked up a colony of an A. secale and a bright green A. aculeus(?). If i'm correct, there was about 80 people that came to the swap. I think Dave said that some people from San Fransisco and Northern California even drove down to the swap!
Graham
PS. Roland,
Here's the corallite detail of an unidentified species of Acropora. I did it the exact way I discribed above. Focusing is the key.

scarybo

Graham,
Thanks for letting me know about the swap. I had a great time. Thanks for the great quality frags. You were correct about the stag. Once I got it in my tank under the halides I could see all the colors. It's going to look nice.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by SCARYBO
Graham,
Thanks for letting me know about the swap. I had a great time. Thanks for the great quality frags. You were correct about the stag. Once I got it in my tank under the halides I could see all the colors. It's going to look nice.

Hey Joseph,
Were you talking to me or to Roland? I don't remember giving you any frags, unless you were the person that reserved one on --?
Roland,
After looking at the stag frag I got from you, it really looks much more like an A. robusta.
Here's a picture of an A. robusta's corallite structure:

The A. formosa seems to have more axial corallites:

Graham

katara

Gee, Roland..
I introduced you to Dennis..he was 3 feet from your face!And he really wanted to unload that clam..maybe it wasn't meant to be..I mean maybe there's another, better one out there for you:)
Out of curiousity, if you know..what color is it(it was closed from the transfer)& what did Anthony bump it up to?
Gina

scarybo

Graham,
Sorry I meant Roland. My wife and I watched you taking pictures. I saw your website and you take great shots. I'm looking to purchase a digital camera. I know who to talk to for advice when I do.
Roland,
Sorry I posted to Graham. I really appreciate your help and the frags. I left a little while after I got the frags. I was excited and wanted to get them in the tank, plus I promised my wife dinner. I sent an email the other day to join MASLAC. I'm new to the hobby (1 year) and have alot to learn so I thought that would be a good way to start.

spsfreak100

Graham,
Sorry I meant Roland. My wife and I watched you taking pictures. I saw your website and you take great shots. I'm looking to purchase a digital camera. I know who to talk to for advice when I do.
Thanks for the compliments, Joseph! Email me when you plan on buying the camera! I just tried out the Canon Powershot G3, and the macroshots it takes are amazing!
I sent an email the other day to join MASLAC. I'm new to the hobby (1 year) and have alot to learn so I thought that would be a good way to start.

Maslac is a great way to start! They have a great raffle every month, as well as a featured speaker. SCMAS might also be another club you may want to join (http://scmas.org). It's farther away, but it's still worth attending :)
Graham
PS. My bubble tip finally split today. I've been waiting for it to split since it hit the 10" mark :D

scarybo

Thanks Graham,
I'm still doing my research since this is my first digital. I'll check out the cannon.
Congrats on the bubble tip

spsfreak100

Roland,
I found the "Gold" Maxima clam at the swap, originally selling for $75.00, now selling for $165.00 on Anthony's site ($150.00 with the "Super special")! Although it looks much more brown than it is gold :D
Graham

oldyellingtang

Hey guys, it's on again! Frag swap Jan 17th in the LA area.
Roland, have you been following the thread on --?
Same Time, Same Place!

bigmac

Originally posted by SPSfreak100
Dave's grow out tank:

:) Looks like a tank with a bunch of wild colonies to me......

oldyellingtang

Thanks Graham,
I'm still doing my research since this is my first digital. I'll check out the cannon.
Congrats on the bubble tip

Graham, I just noticed that's my mug in one of your photos. I'm the guy with the sunglasses in the shirt collar.