So, Did I Kill all my critters?

bacffin

Well my tank is almost done cycling but after reading quite a few posts about water changes and ammonia levels I am afraid I have turned all my live rock into base rock. In the beginning, I added a cocktail shrimp and let the ammonia spike to about 7ppm for a couple of days before pulling it out and never did a water change until last week when the ammonia was down to about 2.0. Any one have any opinions on this.
Thanks,
Bruce
Sorry, posted this in the wrong place and I can't delete it.

beaver

Im sort of new also.. had my tank up for about 3 months. But I dont think that would kill live rock. The live part of it is the bactria that eats ammonia and nitrites... Some one correct me if im wrong? what makes you think its dead?

ricks280

hi bacffin, imo. there is not a good thing to do a water change untill your levels drop, you need the system to do the cycle ! by doing water changes you are only slowing the procces down by lowering the ammonia levels let your lr and your sand absorb these and you will have a better system in the long run( a good bacteria level is required) im cycling my 280gal. as we speak and its been running for 5 days now and the ammonia has really gone up, i estimate another two days and it should drop, once it does i will do a water change. just my little input (nothing is bullet proof) :D ( keep us updated) :happy: (rick)