So I got the cleaner shrimp!

hottie79

I got the cleaner shrimp and my fish are TERRIFIED of her. Wont go anywhere near her. She is super pregnant, which I am guessing will be kinda free fish food. Do my fish just need time to get used to her? I have a 30 gallon with a pair of clowns, clown goby and a Royal Gramma

happyhourh

yeah, give it time for sure. Mine usually stay away from my shrimp unless they want to be cleaned. Have fun letting it clean your hand every time you put it in the tank.

happyhourh

Originally Posted by alyssia
I've had my cleaner for over 7 months and my fish still will not let the shrimp clean them.
I bet it happens and you just dont see it. Watch for like 20 mins right after the lights come on. Normally, all of my free swimming fish get a cleaning right in a row. They all line up and the cleaner will sometimes even get into their gills and mouths. I knew this happened with large fish but my shrimp is as big as all my fish so its kinda odd.

fedukeford

they will deff. get used to the cleaner, and once they get used to it the cleaning will begin to hapen..

texasfish

if she is as large as mine the smaller fish will not let the shrimp rideon them. the only fish i have that allows a real cleaning is my c.b. angle. my clown, and royal gramma are still small and won't allow it and the lawn mower blenny just don't seem to be interested.

1journeyman

I've got 3 Scarlet Cleaners...
From what I have observed, the cleaners are sometimes too "anxious" to clean. I think they spook the fish.
I hand feed my shrimp and it seems to calm them down enough for the fish to be more comfortable with them.