So I guess its officially a reef now (pics)

stanlalee

wasn't but a short time ago tank was coral free. I've learned a great deal (mostly in maintenence and anal retentiveness). I dont think I'll ever keep adding to the point where its filled to the top with liverock and corals (just not my taste visually) but I'm still just getting started!

there's also 1 fire shrimp, 5 peppermint shrimps, 1 emerald crab, 18 hermits and 2 astrea snails ( I need more but I just hate snails!) and too many small hitchhikers to list (many quite visable in the pics above). Yes thats crushed coral. Nitrate <5ppm always, phosphates <0.5ppm always both normally undetectable amounts. yes thats a seaclone and no I aint changing any until testing tells me otherwise.

X

xrobbx03

love the pics...how big is the tank and are you using CC for the bottom?

stanlalee

Originally Posted by xrobbx03
love the pics...how big is the tank and are you using CC for the bottom?

thanks! its just a 30gallon and yes I'm using crushed coral.
heres a few more.
this guy decided to come out so I took a shot of it (christmas tree coral)

and tenticles after feeding candycanes. peppermint trying to get what it can get from them

bad full view

dreamreef

Very inspiring and tasteful. Looks terrific!! I'm looking forward to turning mine into a full blown reef!!! $omeday

peter1215

congrats, this is one of the nices 30gal reefs ive seen. what are you using for filtration ? i see a hangon filter there? any sumps or wetdry?

stanlalee

thanks for the comments/complements!
what are you using for filtration ?
no sump yet. I dont know if its really worth the work/expense with just a 30 gallon. 10-15 gallon tanks are very cheap so I'm considering it if I can do it all myself and cheaply. All I have for filtration is about 35lbs of liverock, a seaclone 100 (a working one) and I circulate water thru a skilter 250 occasionally running carbon in it (skimmer/airvalve turned off). two mini-jets 104gph and one hagen 270gph powerhead for circulation.
what camera are you using?
believe it or not its a pretty outdated canon powershot A40. it has limited manual features and it doesn't do close macro's well at all but picture quality isn't half bad for an entry level has been

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Madman133
whats that in the 3rd pic in the first set? it looks cool

thanks, its a Hammer or Anchor LPS coral.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by 2563
I love it! What do you have for lighting?
thanks have JBJ power compact lighting 192 watts (96w daylight, 96w actinic)