So I leave yesterday for work.....

black cobra

At around 6am. Look my tank over everything is golden. I get home from work and come in to look and all my live rock has something fuzzy brown everywhere
It's not quite long or thick its just brown and fuzzy looking.....
I am just about 4 weeks into my cycle now. I now have 0 Ammonia. 0 Nitrites. Almost 0 Nitrates. One color level above. My PH is 8.2/ Alkalinity is normal. and my Calcium is 440. Water temp is 78 degrees.
So I am guessing my cycle is over and now I am growing diatoms? Interesting enough my sand is still normal color. Its just the brown on the Live Rocks.....
I have about 110lbs. My tank is a 72G.
I am doing a 20% water change tonight and probably my first CUC tomorrow or Friday.
What do you guys think?

naclh2o nut

"I am growing diatoms?"
That does not mean your tank has cycled. Your test parameters do. (as long as you had the normal spikes)
Congrats,
let the spending begin - Oops - Continue!

black cobra

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/2968536
"I am growing diatoms?"
That does not mean your tank has cycled. Your test parameters do. (as long as you had the normal spikes)
Congrats,
let the spending begin - Oops - Continue!

Oh yeah I had the spikes. They came in week 3. Now everything is looking good test wise. I was just surprised something can grow that fast??
Ya know? That was over the course of what..... 10 hours!

naclh2o nut

10 hours, Not sure of your lighting, but I just installed M/Hs and I can watch the algea grow.
I am not joking on the front of the tank it will turn a brown /green in a matter of hours. I can wipe it of and see it floating in the water every 3 to 4 hours. Starting to worry that I can keep up.

I heard that this will taper off, not sure when, but soon I hope.

I had the diatoms show up every day for about a week then no more. Tank would be clean in AM and covered in PM. This was with P/Cs.