So my tank has gone to the crapper...

D

dholmblad

In recent months I have gotten my 90gal reef "back up and running." I cycled it again even though the water has been flowing just with no livestock and no lights on for a solid year.
After it was cycled I got 100 blue leg, and 100 turbos and put them to work on getting some of the algae under control. After about a month I added 3 damsels and some cheap mushroom coral. They seemed to be doing fine so about 3 weeks later I added a BTA, 2 Percula Clowns, Yellow tang, blonde tang, and a mandarin dragonet. They all were doing fine and to my surprise my BTA split about a week later.
Another few weeks go by and I add, some zoos, purple dotty back, and a blenny. The tank was doing fine for a few more weeks until I started to see a lot of this “dust like” “alge.” Both the tangs died in a period of about a week, but nothing else did. There is a lot of brown algae on the sand bed that makes like a thick layer.
I would like to continue the progress with my tank and any input will be helpful.
Here is a little info on the tank if it helps
Lighting
2X 96W 10000K White PowerCompact Bulb
2X 96W Actinic 03 PowerCompact Bulb
20 gal sump with good quality skimmer
I get all of my water from a reverse osmosis unit
Here is a few horible pictures from my horible digital that I took...

Picture of "dust like alage"

puffer32

I think you added to many fish at 1 time, did you drip acclaimate? Also, a nassau tang needs a big tank. The algae didn't kill the fish, what your your perimeters like?

D

dholmblad

I did drip acclamate, and I dont think it was the adding of the fish because there was a period where everthing was just fine.

hot883

I think you sadly added WAY TO MANY fish at once and the Bio load caught up fast. Your tank was not "seasoned" enough and did not have enough Bacteria to help out. I would imagine your trates and ammonia areoff the chart, maybe PH is out of whack too. What are the parameters of the water. Just $.02

D

dholmblad

here are the parameters
salt
Alk normal
Amonia 0<between<.25
ph 8.3
Nitrate p.p.m 5.0
Nitrite .1
The LR is really dirty, when ever a fish will stop on one then swim away some dust li ke particles go up. Is there any way to clean the rock? Like could I take some out and put it in a large bucket?

A clean up crew is your answer friend. Also a turkey baster is the best way to clean life rock. Also get some more circulation in the tank. Its not that difficult to clean that tank up, just add a cleaning crew and youll be golden.
Edit: Going back and looking at the picture i do not see any of your blue leg hermits, did they all die? Plus i personally think you have too many fish in there. Add some poop eating things in there and you should be good. Also whats your water turn around?

D

dholmblad

Im not sure what my water turn around is. My return pump from my sump is 500gph, and I have two 345 gph pumps circulating in the display.

D

dholmblad

Ill see if I can get a clean up crew orderd from SWF.com tonight, All my local stores charge like $2+ a pop for blue legs.

latino277

Originally Posted by dholmblad
Im not sure what my water turn around is. My return pump from my sump is 500gph, and I have two 345 gph pumps circulating in the display.
Dholmblad. You need to get you water circulation up some more. your running at 1190g/h. in a 90G you should be closer to 1800g/h. If I were you I would look into setting up a closed loop system

wax32

One way or another you need more circulation. Keep that poop stirred up long enough for your skimmer to get it out of there.

D

dholmblad

Should I get a stronger return pump? Or just another power head to put in display.
Whats closed loop system?

jacknjill

yeah i was also wondering what the difference was between a closed loop and an open loop? i havent put a sump/refuge on my tank so far simply because i dont understand how to do it

D

dholmblad

Basting as I speak. I moved the powerheads around a little to get better flow and no dead spots.

D

dholmblad

IT seems like Im just moving the stuff around, and it just settles somewhere else.