So my tank has gone to the crapper...

latino277

Originally Posted by dholmblad
IT seems like Im just moving the stuff around, and it just settles somewhere else.
:scared: That is exactly why you need more flow.
a closed loop is a system were there is not breaks in the line... IE. goes from you tank to a pump/in-line filter and then back to you tank... Air never gets to the water in the line.
an Open loop is what you would have if you had a sump. Water goes from you tank to the sump, which is "OPEN". then to a pump and back to the tank.
hope this helps

D

dholmblad

Thats what I was leaning twards, and it has just been ordered.
Edit: It is an open loop. And how would a closed loop help?

D

dholmblad

So to get more circulation would I need another powerhead in the display( I have 2 currently) or just stronger ones? I have not pressed finish so I can still add a pump to my order.

latino277

the good thing with a closed loop that, if planned right, can get all those ugly PH out of you tank. you can use one large pump and then just plum the tank and all you'll see is just the plumming

jacknjill

Originally Posted by latino277
the good thing with a closed loop that, if planned right, can get all those ugly PH out of you tank. you can use one large pump and then just plum the tank and all you'll see is just the plumming

for this to happen does it have to be a drilled tank? or can it be a regular undrilled tank?

D

dholmblad

I dont have the space for plumbing, And I dont have the money to buy the new equip. So should I get another PH with more gph or another PH?

latino277

Originally Posted by JacknJill
for this to happen does it have to be a drilled tank? or can it be a regular undrilled tank?
no the tank does not need to be drilled. all the plumming can go over the back... just keep in mind that the pump will have to be primed (filled with water) before it will do any thing.

jacknjill

could i have just the plumbing showing if i put all the other equipment in the sump and just had an overflow and some kind of return? or would i still need a powerhead?

latino277

I dont have the space for plumbing, And I dont have the money to buy the new equip. So should I get another PH with more gph or another PH?
if this is the case then yeah... go with the extra/bigger PH. also looking into those... sweaper PH (I think that's what they are called :thinking: ) They "CAN" be a lot of maintinance. I have them for about a year now and work find.

D

dholmblad

I have two rios in my tank right now. They seem to be working well, what are some other companies I should look at.
All SFW.com sells is rio and via.
And could It be I just done have propper possition for my PHs and the angle on my return.

D

dholmblad

So I go to check out(got #2) and I find out that they are giving me a free gift. None of the other stuff was really wanted so I went with free zoos, 10 polips or w.e.

One other bit O' advice I can give to ya this mornin. If you have a pile up of poop like that its a pretty good assumption that that area in your tank is what they call a "dead spot" in other words get some circulation to that area. To me that looks like a little cave area, which is good, but causes "dead spots"
All dead spots are is a area in the tank where no circulation gets too, this also causes a buildup of amonia and other nasties. As you can see by your tank im pretty certain that area has a buildup of ammonia.
Hope this helps bro, good luck on the tank.

latino277

Originally Posted by JacknJill
could i have just the plumbing showing if i put all the other equipment in the sump and just had an overflow and some kind of return? or would i still need a powerhead?
If you plan you closed loop and sump setup right... then you can do it w/o a PH in the tank. But Planning it right is very very hard. but if done right all you will have in you tank is the overflow (return from sump should very sallow in the tank, so you can really see it), intake for you closed loop, and the return pipes for your closed loops.

latino277

I have two rios in my tank right now. They seem to be working well, what are some other companies I should look at.
And could It be I just done have propper possition for my PHs and the angle on my return.
there is another site the I go to... it's like "Home Depot" but instead of "home" it's Marine!

latino277

this very well can be the case. but looking at the #'s and your issue I would say you need more flow.

latino277

yeah... I love that place for dry goods. I got really lucky with them this week. I ordered 2 XM 15k 250w bulb and they sent me 4!!!!! look at the zooMed PowerSweepers.

D

dholmblad

I have been thinking about moving the LR in to a better shape, could this be bad? I dont wanna kick up anything.