So, Santa is bringing me a 46 gal bow front..

oct22baby

I am so excited! :jumping: I decided that I wanted to do saltwater vs. tropical, and have been going through each fish on this site, adding some to my favorites so I can narrow down who I want to inhabit my tank... and so that I don't lose a bunch of money on fish that get eaten by others.
I was wondering how possible it is to have mostly calm or peaceful fish - I am not sure I want to deal with super aggressive fish, and I do not want to get any that will require me to get a larger tank later on.
Also, this may seem dumb, but is live rock required for a marine tank? :notsure: I was thinking so, and planning to use it, but this is all so new, I have no idea. I'm ordering some books from Amazon, too, so I have lots of research to do before my new babies come to live here.

monalisa

Originally Posted by oct22baby
I am so excited! :jumping: I decided that I wanted to do saltwater vs. tropical, and have been going through each fish on this site, adding some to my favorites so I can narrow down who I want to inhabit my tank... and so that I don't lose a bunch of money on fish that get eaten by others.
I was wondering how possible it is to have mostly calm or peaceful fish - I am not sure I want to deal with super aggressive fish, and I do not want to get any that will require me to get a larger tank later on.
Also, this may seem dumb, but is live rock required for a marine tank? :notsure: I was thinking so, and planning to use it, but this is all so new, I have no idea. I'm ordering some books from Amazon, too, so I have lots of research to do before my new babies come to live here.

All I can say is read, reasearch, then start again!! There is a TON of information you need to know to have a successful SW tank. The benefits are awesome, and you'll never go wrong by learning as much as you possibly can from as many different sources as you can muster!! Great hobby...no DOUBT.
Actually, I'm upgrading to a 46gal bf probably shortly after the holidays. I currently have a 37gal tall which will be converted to a seahorse tank...can't wait. I'm really excited about the change over!!
Lisa :happyfish

oct22baby

I forgot to mention, I got the tank, stand and hood for $250 - about half price at a chain in the area who is disconinuing the "maple" finish. Have you purchased your tank yet???

monalisa

Originally Posted by oct22baby
I forgot to mention, I got the tank, stand and hood for $250 - about half price at a chain in the area who is disconinuing the "maple" finish. Have you purchased your tank yet???
No, haven't purchased it yet, but just got a great quote on the tank and stand (not as good a quote as you though...). I'm hoping that my family will all kick in to help me with the purchase for a Christmas gift as well. *fingers crossed*. The stand that I have in mind has an oak finish...I'm really excited about giving my critters a little more room to roam. I would also like to go bigger, but in my house, I definitely have to go with space available, and the 46 will be perfect in the spot that I want it (where my 37 is now). I've still got to decide where my seahorse tank will be going. I have some ideas, but nothing solid yet.
Lisa :happyfish

oct22baby

I live in Ohio, and not sure if we can post names of stores here or not, but if you wind up wanting to know where I got this, I'll email it if you ask. The $250 doesn't include tax, but the whole shebang (minus fish, of course) is $543 with tax, which I figured wasn't bad considering I got the stand and everything I need to start up EXCEPT the fish. However, I did NO bargain shopping either... had to take it or leave it on this clearance deal...