So the silver bullet?

tthemadd1

Cyano or algae. Different problem and usually similar solutions.
I beat down an algae bloom after six months of hell. Then cyano took control of the tank. The dying algae left a vacuum for bacteria to break down the organic matter left by the algae death.
Now I have a damaged protein skimmer that is on the mend. Should be back up in three days. Note: I don't think the skimmer has been efficiently working for a few months.
So all tests come back in great shape.
Nit. 0.0
Phos 0.0
Alk 9.0
Calc 300. (Low)
Dk 7-8 (Low)
I think my organic dissolved solids are going to start causing problems for everything if I don't do something drastic.
I'm starting to wonder if the tank is too close to the huge window in the Living room adding to the issues.
Hair pulled

snakeblitz33

If the algae has died then do a few large water changes and test your water. Get your skimmer going good. Macroalgae will also help suck up nutrients. Its a combination of everything that is a silver bullet. No piece of equipment makes up for Good husbandry and maintenance.

tthemadd1

Right waiting on the skimmer to get back up my pump took a crap. Should have parts tomorrow. Macro doesn't live well in the fuge. Literally phos an nitrates are near 0 if not 0.

tthemadd1

So to add insult to injury the pump part Im waiting on is backordered. So today I did a 25% water change after knocking the cyano down as much as possible and stirring up the water. Hoping this will do some good. It is amazing how much waste builds up in the main tank after twice weekly water changes and stirring up the tank. I'm starting to think my protein skimmer needs to be modified to work properly but will know more once it is back up and running. Hopefully soon. Otherwise I'm going to buy a new one with a dedicated pump and not a custom skimmer.

tthemadd1

In addition I am seriously considering a drastic move. Pulling all the rock out and rinsing it to remove all the debris, then removing a large amount of sand and rinsing it. Then after all is complete dumping a high percentage of the tank water and basically starting over. I think I can still maintain the bioload without having a recycling episode but not sure yet if I want to make this move. Huge headache but could be done in a weekend.

snakeblitz33

Pulling rocks for a deep clean is certainly a pain to do. It might be better to make your tank go through several "mini storms" by using a powerhead to deep clean the rocks and stir the sand a little before a large water change.
If it is cyano that your really having a problem with, use some red slime remover and up your maintenance routine.

tthemadd1

I'm definitely past the mini storm. Amazing that my fish have survived these "sandstorms". Been working a few days a week inthis issue since December when the hair algae issue took off. If this last round and getting the protein skimmer back online doesn't work I'm fairly sure my next step is pulling the rock. I have a good LFS owner that will hook me up with a temporary tank at her store for a few days to house the corals and fish. The problem I see is whether or not to go so far as to boil the rock. Make sure the hair algae is completely destroyed, replace the sand, or treat it to kill off all possibility of algae/cyano and then start the whole cycle from scratch. Never had a tank crash but I'm five years into to this tank setup and it might be time to make the big step to really start over. Getting ready to buy a house next year so the other option is to wait it out and then make the move with a whole new tank with all the bells and whistles. Decisions decisions.

tthemadd1

Ladies and Gentlemen. 11 years ago I started a 75 gallon tank now I sit here with my head in my hands.
Cyanobacteria free. Oh yes. Three dead fish oh yes. Red slime remover be damned.
Lost the lawnmower, mimic and Niger in one fail swoop. Ammonia spike wiped out the lot. Or lack of oxygen in the water, put a powerhead with an air attachment in and yet I still lost the tank. So now I sit here with a 20 gallon tank. Packed it with the remaining corals, three anemones, and lo and behold. My evil clown fish has survived so far. So there is a hob filter, small powerhead, heater, light, and some cleaned liverock. I am hoping to stave off a cycle in the 20 gallon.
Tomorrow is going to be long after work I will be pressure washing my liverock. Washing down the sand, breaking down the fuge, and then dumping all the water to start fresh and so clean.
I plan to replumb the overflow box adjust the fuge, and maybe paint the back glass black or a very dark blue. With change comes a fresh start. Bummed that this will be the end of this tank even after moving it five times over the past four years.
Blah

tthemadd1

I tested the water in my tank before I took everything out and the only thing I noticed was a high ammonia level and big drop in PH 6. Nitrates 0, phos 0, etc. I guess that is what did everything in.

snakeblitz33

Probably a combination of everything together. Aerating the water and having water on hand for a water change is ideal when using red slime remover...
Sorry that happened bud, but like you said it's a fresh start.

tthemadd1

So here we are. This is what a ten year old 75 gallon with a 30 gallon fuge looks like after a crash and a rock removal. I pulled all the live rock and shook out all the poo. No wonder I was having algae and cyano issues.

tthemadd1

Two days later I have cleaned all the live rock with peroxide and been soaking the rock in freshwater to continue removing all the detritus deep in the books and crannies. It will not go back into the tank for at least another week. I pulled out the sump/fuge and scrubbed it down. Pulled out all the sand and washed it until it ran clear, put in some filter media to trap any debris remaining. Painted the back of the tank black with an enamel paint, still waiting on a backordered part for the skimmer, and replumbed my return motor to be more efficient in the sump area. All in two days. It's amazing how in time I forgot how the sand can get so dirty. When I would move the sand last week it would cloud the tank for a few hours. Today I can rearrange all the sand and there is no cloud at all.

tthemadd1

I have a clown fish that has survived so much and it now has ich never seen it on him before. So it is in the 20 gal with the other survivors. The main tank is empty and I wonder will fresh water kill ich? If so how long should I leave the main tank without salt? I know it will have to cycle so I have time. Is there a dip method for the rocks the corals are on to kill ich? Or would I then have to wait another 8 weeks before adding fish to the main tank? Once the corals are out of the backup tank I will treat the fish for ich with copper.
Alternative. Move the corals and back to the main tank during the cycle treat fish now leave the anemones in the treatment tank?
Or take fish to the LFS if the owner has room in her tank. Leave the two tanks running for 8 weeks and then combine it all back together?