So what is the overall consensus on best power head?

cam78

What is now considered the best, most durable, and best water flow on all the power heads there are to choose from? I currently have Tunze's but I have to say they break often. Though I have to say the customer service is pretty awesome replacing parts and full units for free, with very little hassle.

king_neptune

vortech MP 40. no contest.
Google it, but be ready to drop $400 each if you want the deluxe that comes with a controller. youtube it and you will understand why within a video or two.

nycbob

king neptune, but isnt the vortex very noisy? it was the noise that really prevented me from getting one in the past. if the noise isnt an issue, i'd definitely be interested of getting one.

spanko

I have a MP10 on my 29 biocube. Great pump and the power module is outside of the tank so no added heat to the water. Variable modes for running it. You can hear it in some modes however it is not loud. More of a background hum. And I have only really noticed that in pulse modes as the pump ramps up and down continuously over very short periods of time. IMO the best investment I have made. It allowed me to remove two Korallias, free up that room and get that heat out of the water.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3224365
king neptune, but isnt the vortex very noisy? it was the noise that really prevented me from getting one in the past. if the noise isnt an issue, i'd definitely be interested of getting one.
Ive never owned one. I don't think they make much noise. I have seen several videos, and I couldn't hear them. Read some reviews from owners, and see what they say. I cant comment either way.

casper1875

I have the MP40 and it's very quiet. I have 1 in my 180 with 2 Hydor Koralia #4's. I'm saving up for another MP40 and the battery back up. I love the VorTech, there are no wires in the tank, it takes up about 3" of space, has a feeding mode setting. You can put two in your tank and the master pump will work with the second pump, so you only have to program one. I can't say enough about them. It will be worth every penny when I get the battery back up.