So, what's the deal with Pistol Shrimp??

9supratt4

I've been thinking about getting a pistol shrimp and goby pair, but I've been doing a lot of research and searches and I have come back with both good and bad feedback on pistol shrimps. So what's the deal with them?? Are they safe to keep?? Will they attack fish?? Will they attack other inverts?? And will they harm the glass of a tank??

wolf_man

I just got one and he made a cave under a leather coral. my emerald crab was cleaning near it and the shrimp sensed it with his antlers then all of a sudden a loud bang occured. That little shrimp nearly killed my crab but he is okay. But wow that sound was so loud.

N

nihoa

a pistol killed our cleaner shrimp. i think the whole goby/pistol thing is wicked but i liked our cleaner better.

premilove

my tank is in my room and i do hear is shots. i think its funny bc i can picture one of my hermits going near him and my pistol protecting his turf lol. here he is. i think it is a really neat pair. i have a cleaner shrimp in my 65 gal and i prefer watching my pistol make a new home for my goby.

9supratt4

So do they go after fish?? Can they break glass?? All I've gotten so far is that they kill cleaner shrimps, which I do have quite a big one

funkysean5

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
http:///forum/post/2934260
So do they go after fish?? Can they break glass?? All I've gotten so far is that they kill cleaner shrimps, which I do have quite a big one

I don't think they will chase after fish , maybe if they are in their territory, but maybe not. And they cannot break glass IME.

9supratt4

I got a small Tiger Pistol today, along with an Orange spotted goby in hopes they would pair up, but the shrimp took off into my rock. Probably won't see it ever again!!

alix2.0

make sure youre not getting them confused with mantis shrimp. id elaborate, but im late to school...

9supratt4

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2938435
make sure youre not getting them confused with mantis shrimp. id elaborate, but im late to school...
Definitely not mantis shrimp!! The LFS had one and they are just such incredible creatures.