So which bulbs should I use?

velbar

So my replacement Halide bulb came in today, another casualty from the great tank crash and attempted recovery that failed those years ago. I now have both halide slots full and there are 2 standard 48" inch florescent slots as well, one on each side of the halides. I have collected several bulbs over many years and realized it just a little while so... I have the timers I want so I can perhaps do some decent facsimile of sunrise and set for the reef tank.

One halide is a 250 w MH250t15 and the other one is MH175w/U/T15/10k

those are set for now, maybe they will change in the future if need be but the question now is which of the several florescent should I use to help the corals out the most, so the florescent I have are...

a) 40w Marine-Glo
b) Wide Spectrum Plant & Aquarium F40opl/AQ
c) Coralife Trichromatic 65000/Full Spectrum FR 40 T12-360
d) 40w Marine-Glo
e) Philips Alto 32 w F32T8/DX

so, suggestions?

Thank you in advance..

Mike

lmforbis

I don't know about the specific bulbs but I'd stay away from b. It sounds like a grow bulb. On a refugium it would be great.

velbar

I don't know about the specific bulbs but I'd stay away from b. It sounds like a grow bulb. On a refugium it would be great.
yeah that makes sense, I think I remember buying that particular bulb about 15 years ago to use in a big terrarium habitat for lizard my kids had for 6 or 7 months until it tail whipped one of the kids in the face and subsequently escaped....

for the time being I put both of the Marine-Glo's (a & d) and set the timer cycles for the fluorescent to do what I hope will be a decent Sun rise to sunset with a slightly over lapping moon rise and glow using the Halides as the sun and The fluorescent ones as the moon. Day 1, I am not liking how the lighting is looking with just the halides, its just not as colorful and pretty....

Thank you for the input, really appreciate it....

lmforbis

You might look at getting a HOt5 fluorescent fixture. I bought a two bulb fixture on eBay for under $50. The bulbs it came with were crappy but I bought new ATI bulbs. I use one true actinic and one purple plus. This fixture supplements my LED fixture and helps eliminate the shadows caused by the single source LEDs.
Way back when I had my first reef tanks I used VHO bulbs, not sure you can even get them any more.

velbar

I have not heard of HOt5's... I will have to look into them, I am not sure about any of the types of lights you named except what LEDs are but I knew I wasn't going to convert to them for a while because I had everything for the Halides and fluoro's with the exception of the one burned out Halide bulb that I was replacing. Kinda, using what I have so I spend as little as I have to, if I have to I will like replacing the protein skimmer that was cracked and replacing 2 dead power heads.... its all in place now though so once I am happy with the tank and sump etc and its all been stable for a few weeks at least then I will get some fish....and then maybe look at changing lighting fixtures but in the mean time I will listen and make my notes and researches, hell I might find just the right deal and make the switch sooner lol

lmforbis

Sounds like you are doing it the right way. I left the hobby 5 or so years ago after a tank crash. Started back a little over a year ago. I was shocked at how much things have changed in a relatively short time.