so who wants to make some money/build me a turf scrubber? i'm not joking...

irish1985

hi folks. in the midst of my nitrate battle, my less than capable self was wondering who would like to earn a few bucks by building me a custom turf scrubber. i can't afford the ones that santamonica sells, and i've heard that it's possible to build a DIY one for around $50. i'd be happy to pay for supplies (+ your time + shipping), so if you think you're up for the job, please let me know via pm and we can exchange contact info. as long as people on this forum vouch for you, i'll be happy to pay a deposit to show you that i'm serious. no immediate hurry, but looking to take care of this sooner than later. and apologies if this should have been posted on the "equipment" forum, by the way. thanks in advance!

mproctor4

Seriously--I am very tech. challenged and it was simple. You can do this yourself. There are many different ways of doing it, you can get ideas on you tube. The hardest part was roughing up the screen. I tried several different ways and found the easiest to be using a serrated knife, angling it a little bit and running the blade across the plastic. Very easy once I go the hang of it. One thing I would recommend is to leave the top 1/4' or so of the plastic smooth, less chance of it clogging up with algae. It is probably easier to do yourself then to try and explain your system to someone else. If you don't have a sump or refugium to put it in, there are some videos on putting it in a 5 gallon bucket.

2quills

Where are you from?
Here's a pic of the one I'm working on...so easy, a caveman can do it!

irish1985

thanks for the replies!
it seems like the most logical thing for me to do is attempt to build my own. i overcame the obstacle of setting up my r/o (which was basically put together when i received it, lol) so i guess i'll face my demons and give it a go...and it'll be a little bit more satisfaction knowing that i built it myself and didn't buy my way out of a problem haha.
i have a Shark sump that sits under my tank (inside the stand_...it's not particularly big, but i hope it's workable for an appropriately sized scrubber. the tank is 75 gallons, but with the rock, sand, and overflow box, i feel like there's closer to 55-60 gallons of water. i've previously posted about my nitrate battle, which included a pic of my sump set up, here it is again (should i remove the bio-balls if i have the turf scrubber running in the sump??):

and 2quills, i live in maine.
thanks again folks

S

saxman

I think if I were to run a turf scrubber in that sump, I'd yank the bioballs and attach the scrubber panels vertically beneath the drip plate, assuming it would keep the panels wet enuff.
You could also just light the "unoccupied" half of the sump and run some Cheatomorpha or another fast-growing macro in that half instead of building a scrubber. We run live macro in most of our setups, which performs the same function as a turf scrubber, plus, it looks nice in the DT (we no longer keep a reef, so macro in the DT is perfect for us).

irish1985

thanks for the response saxman. curious why everyone wouldn't just run live macro instead of a turf scrubber if it's more simple? is it not as reef safe or something? i'll have to do some research on it. i have a FOWLR and am not looking to start a reef anytime soon, so maybe this will be a good idea/cheaper/easier solution than an ATS. i've posted some more photos of my set up below (hopefully not shrunken down too much), specifically the sump set up and overflow. hopefully i have room..hoping to have something that sits inside the stand as there isn't really a pretty way to do it otherwise. thanks!

alt="circulator.pump.jpg" src="https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/4/44/44dfc77d_circulator.pump.jpgsaxman http:///forum/thread/386893/so-who-wants-to-make-some-money-build-me-a-turf-scrubber-i-m-not-joking#post_3401644
I think if I were to run a turf scrubber in that sump, I'd yank the bioballs and attach the scrubber panels vertically beneath the drip plate, assuming it would keep the panels wet enuff.
You could also just light the "unoccupied" half of the sump and run some Cheatomorpha or another fast-growing macro in that half instead of building a scrubber. We run live macro in most of our setups, which performs the same function as a turf scrubber, plus, it looks nice in the DT (we no longer keep a reef, so macro in the DT is perfect for us).

S

saxman

Lots of folks are afraid of live macro because some of them (typically a couple of the fast-growing Caulerpa species) can "go sexual" and release gametes into the tank. We actually let this happen once just to see what happened in terms of the tank dying, yadda-yadda. It was nothing that some carbon and a WC couldn't fix, and we lost no livestock. However, the macro will "tell" you if it's about to go south by going milky and having green spots on it (the gametes).
What this phenomenon is all about is a last ditch effort by the macro to survive poor conditions, such as temp swings, overgrowth ("smothering" itself), over-pruning, inability to compete with other macros for food, etc. So...it releases gametes into the water column that will float away from the "bad" area, and begin life in a more habitable area.
One reason you may not want them in the reef DT is that they could overgrow corals if not kept pruned.
We currently run 13 FOWLR setups of various sizes and bioloads, and the macro really goes a long way in helping with water quality. They use ammonia first, thus preventing them from becoming nitrates, but will also use nitrates, and even phosphates. If you run them in your sump and light them on a reverse schedule than your DT, they will aid in stabilizing the nightly pH drops since the system never truly goes into normal respiration as photosynthesis never stops.
They also harbor pods which most fish really find tasty.
Finally, I think they look super and add some nice movement to the DT: