Soft coral ID

scotts

So I bought this zoo rock the other day. There is one thing on there that I don't know what it is. Anyone have any ideas?

yep it is a majano anemone.. they will sting the hell out of your corals. If you don't get rid of them they'll soon take over your tank.

reefforbrains

Before you joes juice it it might be something else.... You guys sure its a Majano?
could be a sarlacc monster. Usually not a problem in home salt aqauriums,....unless your a bounty hunter

reefforbrains

yeah, Reefkprz is on the right track of thought.
on a serious note, If it has a skeleton could be a ball anenome, but just doesnt look right for one. Can you get a pic of it closed?

viet-tin

Thats exactly what I have on my zoos. I broke it off and it grew nicely and another one grew back where I detached it.

viet-tin

Yea it has a skeleton base. I let mine grow then I broke it off as it was stinging my zoos and placed it elsewhere in my tank. Another one grow back in its place and ill probably break that one off as well.

reefkprz

hmmm. Ive never seen fungia with a base, now I am doubting thats what it is. but the top does look like one closed. I'm afraid I dont know. maybe someone else has seen that before. sorry I couldnt be more helpfull.

reefforbrains

I think its a ball anenome, just break it off, I wouldnt think it would grow back, the zoo should choke out any tiny growths that might have been seeded. Whatever it is, I do like it as long as its not going to take over like mad. Do a search for ball anenome and se for yourself.

reefkprz

I think is beautiful if you dont want it ship it to me, and I'll tell you in six months if its good or bad...

scotts

So far it is staying. No reason to kill it yet.
VT, Cool to know that it sounds like whatever it is I can move it.
RFB, Hard to find info on the ball anenome, although there are lots of tourist pictures of them. I will do more research tonight. (Kids are on spring break)
Z, I do thank you for your kind offer. However considering the current bio load that you have in your zoo, I mean house, I would not feel right with burdening you with another living thing.
It does look pretty cool though. It has an orange middle and green outside like the zoos around it. I hope that is not from eating the zoos, you are what you eat.

scotts

Well right now I am leaning towards a baby Fungia. I read an article that sounds kind of similar to what this one is doing, although there was no mention of the base. But the Fungia do have a hard skeleton so it does not sound like it would be uncommon for it to form a base so that it could compete with the zoos.