Soft Corals touching

stoss

Can a Kenya tree coral and a toad stool coral touch? Running out of room to place corals
and wondering if I can place them in very close proximity of each other.

flower

Run carbon in the filter to inhibit toxins in a chemical war. The spots that actually touch will draw up. I was told Kenya trees don't sting but my sea fan wasn't convinced and developed a dead spot where they touched. After removing the offending tree, the fan is all happy again. Carbon helps but you have to keep up on it, as it is only good for a short time, I think 1 month.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3250291

Run carbon in the filter to inhibit toxins in a chemical war. The spots that actually touch will draw up. I was told Kenya trees don't sting but my sea fan wasn't convinced and developed a dead spot where they touched. After removing the offending tree, the fan is all happy again. Carbon helps but you have to keep up on it, as it is only good for a short time, I think 1 month.
I've had problems with chemical warfare when placing a lot of leathers in a tank with LPS. I've never had problems with two leather corals harming each other. Then again I've never had a toadstool. I've read of it happening, but I don't think that it will be too big of an issue. Carbon is a good help, that's excellent advice. I've actually read less than a month in quite a few places. I'm not really sure if I can find a definitive answer to how long carbon is effective. I bet that has too much to do with your water quality. Anyway, I guess I'm just here to provide backup for you Flower.

nanomantis

They are very closely related. I think you will be fine, just keep your eyes on them. If it becomes a problem, just prune the kenya tree!

mrdc

IME, my toadstools never likee to be touched by anything. Not saying it was hurt when say my colt touch it but it didn't look happy. I just try to keep everything off it now.

flower

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3250363
I've had problems with chemical warfare when placing a lot of leathers in a tank with LPS. I've never had problems with two leather corals harming each other. Then again I've never had a toadstool. I've read of it happening, but I don't think that it will be too big of an issue. Carbon is a good help, that's excellent advice. I've actually read less than a month in quite a few places. I'm not really sure if I can find a definitive answer to how long carbon is effective. I bet that has too much to do with your water quality. Anyway, I guess I'm just here to provide backup for you Flower.

Pez, don't leave me hanging...find out the time limit on carbon. I am going by what I read on the box years ago...change it once a month. Also canister filters say change the media once a month. So any info is greatly appreciated.

mrdc

I don’t think you are going to get a definite on how often you should change carbon. I have researched it many times and there is no clear answer. I’ve seen where people don’t use it at all to using it for 6 months before changing it. I use chemi pure elite and purigen. I change the chemi pure about once a month and the purigen when it turns brown. I then regenerate the purigen with bleach. I also use a phos pure / carbon pad in my sump that I change out when it turns brown. Again, I just don’t think there is a definite answer but I lean towards making the change about once a month.

flower

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3250613
I don’t think you are going to get a definite on how often you should change carbon. I have researched it many times and there is no clear answer. I’ve seen where people don’t use it at all to using it for 6 months before changing it. I use chemi pure elite and purigen. I change the chemi pure about once a month and the purigen when it turns brown. I then regenerate the purigen with bleach. I also use a phos pure / carbon pad in my sump that I change out when it turns brown. Again, I just don’t think there is a definite answer but I lean towards making the change about once a month.

6 months! We need somebody to do an experiment and see how long the carbon lasts before the corals look like crap...LOL, but not me.

pezenfuego

Like I said, it's too dependent on one's water quality. Even if we came up with a result, it would probably be useless to the reefing community.

stoss

Well I put the Kenya tree next to the leather and the leather started looking bad. Not going to take a chance so I moved him.