SOFT TOAD STOOL CORAL PROBLEM ( I THINK )

thelion

I have a 100 gallon reef. I also have a soft toad stool coral with long tenticals w/ star shaped tips on each tentical.It's a light pink color.Periodically it just curls up and shrivels up for a few days.Can anyone please tell me exactly what is going on with coral?
thank you, Leo :confused:

dburr

I have the same corel for about 2 months. I have never seen this. It needs moderate water motion and I have it in low lighting. I add reef plus and reef complete by sea chem. I have seen mine flop over, but for a very short time. How is yours situated in the tank?
DBurr

nm reef

Mine also goes thru periods where it will sort of fold up....also has shed its mucus membrane a few times......seems to be a trait of this coral......mine has shorter polys.............I've moved it to several locations until I found a place it likes....seems to be doing better recently.......also I've got 2 small frags from this coral and both are doing fine........

mal

Mine did this a few times. I think it is growing when it does this. It would "shed" a layer off like Sammy said.
I cut the top off mine with scissors last week, then cut the top in half. I gave one part to my buddy, and now have two in my tank. They are really cool corals. Mine seems to do really well in bright light / good water flow. Polyps fully extended and healthy. I've also read they need a good supply of calcium to remain healthy. 400-450ppm.
[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: mal ]