Softies?

markw

Are there any soft corals that will thrive under T5 lighting that also do well under Metal Halides? The reason I ask is because for my tank I was going to do a FOWLR and Inverts and maybe 3-5 soft corals (if possible) at first then if that goes right, add more corals, but I wanted at least a few corals, but not a full reef. Is there any way to achieve this with a T5 fixture?

nycbob

imo, all softies will do fine under t5. eathers, colts and kenya tree are good candidates.

anonome

They will do well, but be sure to run some carbon periodically if not 24/7 due to their warfare if you were to add any other type of coral. My figi yellow was always large and did well under pc lighting, but when I added halides it has doubled in size within a short period of being under halides. Very beautiful coral, definately my show piece. Consider it.

michaeltx

yep on all above statments
I would also include that if you are going HO or VHO t-5s you can even go into some of the SPS corals just research which ones first.
Mike

markw

Thanks alot everyone. Now, Im thining VHO T5s for a while with some softies and maybe 1-3 SPS's, then eventually if everything goes well will upgrade to MH's and go onto a bigger tank and LPS's. Good idea?

michaeltx

just remember there are t-5 VHO and T-8 VHO so make sure your looking at the right bulbs and fixtures its easy to get them crossed.
Mike

michaeltx

nope other way around t-5's are stronger and better par value than the t-8's MH is the strongest of them.
Mike

markw

I figured about the MH's, but thats good to know about the T8's. If I hadnt known, I would have probably picked them up. Thanks alot. T5's here I come!