Sohal Tang Troubles

littlej2455

I just purchased my sohal tang last week. All of my water perimeters are good, the only one that is a little off is my nitrites at 10. (not too high) But my tang has been doing great and is eating mysis shrimp, veggie pellets, and seaweed. He swims around the tank like nothing is wrong with him. However I noticed the other day that he growing some sort of bacteria (i think) just in front of his dorsal fin. It is white, and it looked first like his colors were fading but, I dont think thats the case. It doesn't really look like HLLE, because it doesn't look like the scales of the fish are becoming eroded. I will try to get a picture of him, once my light turns on. Any ideas?

deejeff442

seems to me alot of lympho has been popping up more ofton lately.
i got a tusk with it he was only two days out of the ocean.
wonder if these fish are coming from the same distributer in l.a.?
just keep an eye on it if it grows in the same spot and doesnt spread just keep the water good and it will go away in 3-4 weeks.

littlej2455

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3097948
i got a tusk with it he was only two days out of the ocean.
wonder if these fish are coming from the same distributer in l.a.?
just keep an eye on it if it grows in the same spot and doesnt spread just keep the water good and it will go away in 3-4 weeks.
Yeah I bet it is, because he did come from California. It spread a little bit other the front part of the dorsal fin to the other side, but not much at all.

jp30338

It is prolly because you have a 17-18" shark, plus at least the 2 tangs in the pic and god knows what else in a 125g!

deejeff442

dont do anything drastic just supplent the food with zoe and feed a variety of good stuff,keep the water good and it will go away.
its all about keeping the fish healthy and unstressed ,thats the key to getting rid of lympho.
there is no medication and you dont need to qt as long as the water stays good.

littlej2455

http:///forum/post/3098154
dont do anything drastic just supplent the food with zoe and feed a variety of good stuff,keep the water good and it will go away.
its all about keeping the fish healthy and unstressed ,thats the key to getting rid of lympho.
there is no medication and you dont need to qt as long as the water stays good.
What is zoe? I put a vitamin in all my meaty foods? Is that the same?

deejeff442

yea zoe is just another vitimin supplement.
just keep them healthy and it will go away.
the only way lympho will spread is when the fish touch each other so i would spread the food around instead of dumping it all in one spot.
this will help keep them seperated.
typicaly the fish wont brush up against each other .

littlej2455

http:///forum/post/3098232
yea zoe is just another vitimin supplement.
just keep them healthy and it will go away.
the only way lympho will spread is when the fish touch each other so i would spread the food around instead of dumping it all in one spot.
this will help keep them seperated.
typicaly the fish wont brush up against each other .
Yeah, I watched him the whole day and it doesn't look to be getting any larger, just staying the same size. He is not brushing up against anything, and is eating normally (like a pig). What causes this disease?

jp30338

Originally Posted by littlej2455
http:///forum/post/3098057
Your probably right. Thanks for the advice! You're the best!

What do expect with such a large bioload??? You ARE going to have many problems...

Perhaps, you should reconsider your stocking choices.

littlej2455

The spot has gotten a little bigger on him. Nothing has changed on his eating habits, water parameters, and swimming habits. Is this still what you think it is?

deejeff442

if it is still the only spots from before and still on the same places it will probably be lympho.it has a 30 day or so lifespan.
it will grow some but as long as he is eating good i wouldnt worry too much after another week or two it will start to go away.

littlej2455

http:///forum/post/3101176
if it is still the only spots from before and still on the same places it will probably be lympho.it has a 30 day or so lifespan.
it will grow some but as long as he is eating good i wouldnt worry too much after another week or two it will start to go away.
yeah it is the same spot, and he is acting like a pig. He is pretty aggressive once it comes to feeding time. I kind fo knew this getting a sohal, but I didnt think he would be that aggressive so early.

kjr_trig

Lymphocytes can come from a few things, but the important thing is that you keep water pristine and the fish will likely heal. Like DeeJeff said, vitamins will help tremendously. Sohal's are very hardy, he should be fine.
As far as aggression, welcome to the world of the Sohal Tang. When I added mine he was 3 1/2 inches long, skinny and beat up, yet within a day he "beat up" my 6 inch Sunset Wrasse and established himself as the alpha. He is pretty good for the most part and 7 inches now....Nobody dares mess with him though.

littlej2455

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3101833
Lymphocytes can come from a few things, but the important thing is that you keep water pristine and the fish will likely heal. Like DeeJeff said, vitamins will help tremendously. Sohal's are very hardy, he should be fine.
As far as aggression, welcome to the world of the Sohal Tang. When I added mine he was 3 1/2 inches long, skinny and beat up, yet within a day he "beat up" my 6 inch Sunset Wrasse and established himself as the alpha. He is pretty good for the most part and 7 inches now....Nobody dares mess with him though.
Thanks. All the water parameters are doing good. I am going to do my weekly 10% water change today and then I will list the parameters tomorrow. Right now I am just adding vitamin C into my food, is that good enough, or should I be adding another type of vitamin in?
Yeah I love this sohal tang. He has't picked on any of my other fish, so I guess I am lucky with that. Do you have a picture of yours?