Sohal tangs, anybody?

I need some info about your sohal tang(obviously only if you own one, or have owned one). I have a naso, and am going to add an atlantic blue tang shortly, and then I am either going to try a PB or a sohal and keep getting mixed comments regarding sohals. I know the pb will be pretty aggresive and be the dominant tang, but that will not be a big problem because he will go in last of all my fish. But the sohal kind of intrigues me, because he is a lot more hardy and will not have as many health problems as the pb. But I hear that they can be unholy terrors, sometimes, and other times they can be very relaxed big babies, kind of like a naso tang. Now I have never owned one, but I have seen quite a few at stores, aquariums, and friends houses, and the ones I have seen, seem very calm, and very non-aggressive. So why do they get the reputation of being bad boys so often? I have witnessed sizes from 4-12" and they all have been in tanks with other tangs and the other tangs seem way more aggressive or crazy. So all you sohal owners(or past owners) please give the full run down or your dude and let me know everything about their behavior, interaction w/the other fish, what size was he when you got him and what size know, what other fish are in the tank and when were they added, etc. As much info as possible is great. I would much rather get a pb, but don't know if I want the trouble, and a sohal is almost as pretty, but a lot hardier. Thanks, Jolly

blueberryboomer

Hi there, I personaly have no experience with these fish, but here is some info on them that I have found. Hope this helps some. Lisa
Wild specimens can grow to 16"; captive adults will normally grow to 7-10" in the aquarium. Found scraping for algae in the wild, in captivity they will generally accept most prepared and frozen foods. Foods high in vegetable matter are necessary.
This fish is hardy, but susceptible to a disease known as Lateral Line erosion, or Hole in the Head. A diet high in vitamins, and especially beta carotene and a grounding probe can aid in the prevention of development of the disease. Stray voltages are also thought to contribute to this disease and the grounding probe will eliminate them. Selcon seems to produce good results as a vitamin, and it is high in fatty and amino acids, to boot.
Sohal Tangs are very aggressive. They should not be kept with other Tangs, and for some reason they also chase some Wrasse species. They tend to be well behaved with old tank mates, but try to kill any new additions. They are only suited for large aquariums with fish that can take care of themselves. They do fairly well in very large reefs with no other Tangs, and lots of swimming room.
These are among the most prized fish for the Aquarium hobby. The blue outline on the fins and the horizontal body striping render them quite striking. The aggression factor and size make this a fish for only the experienced fish keeper with a large tank.

dasnake03

I had one in my 90 gallon FOWLR,he was with a hippo tang,yellow tang,and purple tang.They all got along fine,I did not find mine overly aggressive.I think they get more aggressive with age though,but I think you should be safe if you put it in last,mine went in last.They are one of the hardiest tangs,and they eat all foods.Get one that is at least 4",because it is hard to give the young sohals enough to eat,so they usually starve,even when you think they are eating alot.Good luck.

tjswanson

I have had experiences with almost all tangs. And you don't want a sohol in w/ another tang of the same genus. The atlantic blue is also from the acanthurus clan and the sohol won't like him. And definetly get a sohol over a powder blue. Powder blues are touchy fish that get sick pretty easy. The sohol is a very hardy tang. I've had 2 sohol tangs. The first one was about 5 inches and I had to get rid of him because he was very aggressive and the 2nd was only 3 inches. I suggest you get a sohol that is AT LEAST 4 inches, but I would alosmt lean toward 5 inches. They are very active and love to swim. Stay with the Sohol and forget about the powder blue, they look awesome but aren't hardy. TJ

flamehawk

SOhal is a great fish. My favorite of all time. I cuurently have him in a 125 w/ a hippo, yellow tang. He ws the last to be added and apart from an occasional territorial squabble, does just fine. He's grown from about 5 inches to 7 inches now. I also have a PB in another tank. Would never mix them. The PB is also a great fish once acclimated. Certainly a bit more sensitive than the Sohal. I love them both. They s/b added to well establ;ished atnks w/ lots of green algae growth on l/r. Diet needs to be supplemented with Nori or Seaweed selects daily. The other feeding is usually one of the following: Spectrum pellets, brine or mysis shrimp, angel formula and occasional freeze dried worms. All the food is soaked in Selcon for at least 30 minutes beforehand.
Tangs are my favorite fish and currently have Sohal, PB, Yellow, Purple, and Hippo in my collection. Will get Achillies in the future when I set up another 125.
The best of luck to you.

t4stock

In my 90 gallon, I have a Sohal I introduced w/ a Kole after my Yellow.The Sohal was slightly smaller than the yellow. After a few days of territorial acclimation, the Yellow and the Sohal settled in nicely.
I will say, however, that the Kole was a mistake on my part -- far too timid a fish. He got numerous rock cuts from dodging (he eventually died b/c of a tank snafu while I was away).
Anyhoo... my Sohal is a wonderful fish.... very personable and gorgeous! He eats like a beast, and I can simply watch him for hours. His coloration is great!
I highly recommend -- I was a beginner and still managed to keep him nice a fat (b the way, do they taste good?)
;)

TJ, I have heard different than what you are telling me about your sohals. I have asked other fish experts (authors) and they seem to think that an atlantic blue that has already been established would not have any more problems with the new sohal than any other tang. And about the pb tangs, I know they are fairly finicky and are prone to carrying or getting ich more easly than some other fish, but as with all fish, if you get a healthy specimen from the right locale, provide the proper tank size, the right decor or habitat, and keep other fish that don't carry any diseases, then they can and do do great. It's just that most people don't meet all those requirments and so the pb doesn't do very well unless you can meet most or all of those requirments. I don't persnally own one, but from what I have learned and found out from asking others and talking with fish experts, is that the pb doesn't do bad because it doesn't acclimate to captive life, it does bad because most people can't provide the water quality, tank size, habitat, etc that the fish needs to thrive. I have seen many pbs that are over 8" that people have had for years and years, and guess what, there tanks are emaculate and large with copious amounts of lr and macroalgae (two of the guys keep their pb in reef systems). And about the sohal, don't you think that a 5" specimen would be to big and already be a bully to add to a tank that doesn't house full grown adults (like my tank). My fish are not over 5" so a 5" sohal would be bigger than them and wail on them most likely. I was thinking more like a 4", no bigger. I find it hard to believe that no one has tried a sohal and pb just soley based on the fact that no one has done it and authors suggest against it. But for every person and author that says you can't do something, I have seen that many tanks that have done it. Everyone says, don't keep more than one angel per tank unless it is 240+ gallons, but I have seen and know of at least 6 tanks(personally, and I'm a loner :) that are 180g or under that have 3, 4, even 5 adult angels together that don't fight and live together great. And they have lived together with no losses for years. I guess I just kind of wanted to hear how the sohal acts around other tangs to see if it really is a terror. I am almost 100% sure I am going to get a pb and just wanted to know if adding a sohal at the same time might work. I don't think I am going to risk it, just because they are both known to be such mean tangs and usually should be the last fish to be added to your tank. I am for sure going to add another angel in the not to distant future and am pretty confident it will work. Thanks for the reply TJ and thanks everyone else. I was more looking for storys about the sohal and about actual details about how it interacts with other fish and specifically tangs. But it doesn't matter, I'm most likely not going to be getting one. But thanks everyone. Jolly

flamehawk

JG- I failed to mention that I did have the PB and SOhal in my 125 for a while. It didn't work. Now that doesn't mean it may not work for you or others. There is always a chance that you will get a less tempermental PB and Sohal. The greater propability is that they will not get along.

tjswanson

Jolly, even with that tang established, it is a tang from the same genius as the Sohol. You may get lucky and they'll get along. But I know Sohol's have an aggressive side. And a lot of people say they are nice, but you get fish in there that it doesn't like and goodbye. The only tang more aggressive than a Sohol is a Clown tang. I say go ahead and try it, I know I've done things that shouldn't work but did. So have fun and if one starts to pick on the other get it out fast. TJ

Originally posted by flamehawk:
<STRONG>JG- I failed to mention that I did have the PB and SOhal in my 125 for a while. It didn't work. Now that doesn't mean it may not work for you or others. There is always a chance that you will get a less tempermental PB and Sohal. The greater propability is that they will not get along.</STRONG>

Flamehawk, why din't it work? Besides the obvious. What exactly was happening, when did you add each fish, how much lr did you have, what sizes were the two fish, etc? I already know that the two fish are very territorial, but angelfish are supposed to be as well, and I like I said, I have personally seen many tanks with more than 3 adult angels and all get along fine. I think MAYBE if you started out with two smaller specimens (3-4") and added them together to a tank that has plenty of hiding spots, that they might grow up for a couple to 4 years without to much fighting and eventually need a 200+g tank in adulthood. Like I said, I don't think I'm going to try it, but just thought we could discuss w/sohal owners why it might or might not work. See ya, Jolly

flamehawk

You make some good points. The Sohal was added after the PB had a chance to establish himself as the king. While I did try to rearrange the L/R(90 lbs. in a 125 , since upgraded to 110 lbs) and also pulling the PB out for two weeks in a quarentine then putting him back, nothing worked. That's my experience and since they are both relatively expensive and territorial , don't think I'd like to try it again. If you or anyone else is successful with this combo, let me know. Thanks...talk to you soon!

tjswanson

I know I didn't have sucess with that combo either. They were added at the same time in a 125 w/ 140 pounds of LR. The sohol was about 5" and the PB was about 4 1/2". The PB started out dominating the Sohol but that didn't last for long. I got the Sohol out but it was too late. My PB died of ick. TJ

flamehawk

TJ-Sorry to hear about your PB. I was fortunate to move mine to another tank before they killed each other. They both are doing great. Have you tried another PB w/o a Sohal of course? They truly are great fish as long as they are eating good and otherwise look healthy when you buy them. I actually got mine home and it developed a parisite which I was successful in treating with Copper. Since then, it's been desease free....knock on wood!