Solaris LED Systems

Does anyone on this board own and use one of these LED lighting systems by Solaris? I just started looking into them and the technology is amazing, not to mention the engery savings and the reduced operating costs over halides and other traditional aquarium lighting.
I've been told that the PAR is equivalent to halides, but I'd be interested in hearing from someone that actually has one of these systems. Have you sucessfully kept high light organisms under these lights, like SPS, clams and anemones?
If I got one, it would be going over a tank that is 24" deep. Will the light penetrate well to the bottom?

oceansidefish

I saw one at a local LFS...The penetration was horrible along with the color. Everything in the tank looked awefull. I think the LED technology is still a couple years away from being a good option in reef tanks. It's also expensive and I have heard of alot of board problems in them from the salt.

stanlalee

dont bother. reliability problems and PFO's reported reluctance on warranty claims. not to mention PFO has ceased all production of metal halide products which is suspicious to me since that is their bread and butter.

wangotango

There are some systems that look more promising than the Solaris, like the Aquailluminations and Sfiligoi.
Even still, you're better off sticking with something that's been proven like metal halides or T5ho until LEDs improve and the prices falls.
-Justin

That's disappointing. The concept seemed really cool and energy efficient. Oh well. Better to learn now than after I'd wasted the money. Thanks for the info!

stdreb27

dude, i lived in keller for 5 years!
I tend to agree, I don't think they are worth the $$ at this point. Solaris has had some quality control issues. And you aren't going to want to drop 2k on a lighting system that wasn't made right. Plus 2k when you can spend a few hundred bucks for an item that does the same job. I think the concept is ok just practical application is still developing and not there yet.
I think spiderwoman has a solaris setup. you might ask her. She has the avatar of her twins.

scsinet

Originally Posted by ChaoticDamsel
http:///forum/post/2931762
That's disappointing. The concept seemed really cool and energy efficient. Oh well. Better to learn now than after I'd wasted the money. Thanks for the info!
The concept is really cool.
Any time you have a new technology like this, it's best to let the esoteric, deep pocket, early adopter types break them in. Solaris' presence, like any new technology in the market, will help drive better products out sooner, but this first-generation stuff isn't ready for prime time yet. The extremely high cost of the system makes for a very long return on investment in energy savings anyway.

scsinet

Originally Posted by stimpy4242
http:///forum/post/2960065
PFO is out of business, there that was an easy decision.
Really?
Interesting news...
Keep an eye. If they went under, some other manufacturer will buy the IP and start marketing the system or innovate and improve it.

fishrich

I doubt another company will release a led light. I heard that other companies have similar lighting systems but with what just happened with pfo they're holding off on releasing them..

scsinet

Well I'm sure it goes without saying that the aquarium industry is hurting right now. People are holding back on luxury spending, and those LED lights are luxury spending in a hobby that is by nature luxury spending. Manufacturers are no doubt hurting. I know the fish stores in my area are.
I had to ask my wife's permission to spend $40 on a fish (well rather I begged for forgiveness)... what's this world coming to?
What did they get sued for, pray-tell?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2960456
Well I'm sure it goes without saying that the aquarium industry is hurting right now. People are holding back on luxury spending, and those LED lights are luxury spending in a hobby that is by nature luxury spending. Manufacturers are no doubt hurting. I know the fish stores in my area are.
I had to ask my wife's permission to spend $40 on a fish (well rather I begged for forgiveness)... what's this world coming to?
What did they get sued for, pray-tell?
They got sued based on a patent issue. And couldn't afford to continue due to court costs. So they laid off all their workers.
This seems to be the synopsis that I tend to agree with.
As we were informed at MACNA by PFO Lighting, there has been an ongoing patent war between PFO and Orbital Technologies on the application of LED lighting for aquariums. Orbitec has had no prior business interest in aquariums, in fact most of their work is around aerospace research–check out their website here. In the actual law suit they describe themselves as “a recognized leader in designing LED lighting for use in biological research and promoting plant growth.”
Although unrelated to their line of work the Madison, WI based company obtained a patent on LEDs for aquariums. You can see the patent here. The patent is vague and encompassing, but there is hope and potentially a few loop holes for LEDs to make their way to aquariums.
The case is still pending, so I will not get into the actual patent issues here. The most important thing for aquarists and industry professionals to realize is the effect that this patent can have. More than PFO will harmed by this, nearly every LED aquarium manufacturer will be. A few companies, like CoralVue, have even developed LED systems and are playing the waiting game until the PFO v Orbital battle is finished.
Recently there has been some rumors passing around in regards to PFO Lighting. Unfortunately we were informed today by Jake Adams that the staff at PFO has been laid off. This is very said news, as PFO had some notable staff such as Joy Meadows the owner of Harbor Aquatics. (Harbor is no longer running, but I was fortunate enough to have them just a drive away from Chicago. I still do not believe I’ve seen a more impressive clam collection at any one store.) To top off this sad story, just this past September PFO started manufacturing the Solaris in the United States.
I wish I could say I am surprised, but sadly I am not. In addition to the rumors we were informed of the approximate monthly costs that PFO is incurring and this is not an inexpensive affair. We hope PFO will be able to overcome this.
LED lighting is undeniably the future, but Orbital Technology’s tactics may make it increasingly difficult for us to use this energy efficient technology.
If you’d like to read more on this, here is the court filing from April 17, 2008 - Eric Michael

This is the company suing with the patent.
http://www.orbitec.com/LEDaquarium.html (mods this is an aerospace company, they don't sell any aquarium supplies, and it is a link to a manufacturers website)