Solaris LED vs. Mh.

I am looking at upgrading the lights that I have on my system now. I have 230 watts of PC currently. I want more light and less heat. I came across the Solaris LED and think that may help. You can find lost of great reports at solarisled.com. On their web site they are the best thing ever. Does any one have any experience with these lights? In their 48" fixture they claim 300 watts that is more effective that Mh. Going with Mh I could get up to 570 something. My tank is a 125 high. I know these light cost $$$$$$$$$ but using the Mh I will also need to add $1000 chiller. Between the Mh and chill I will burn up the small remaining difference in electrical cost. I also don't have any room for the chiller. Please let me know what you think. I currently have Mushrooms, Zoos and some candy cane coral. :help:

Wow! Thanks for the link. Problems like this are more then a pain, however he does seem to be committed to the purchase when he could have cancelled the order. Does any one else have these lights?

aw2x3

There's a large thread, on --, about the LEDs.
The thread started off in a flurry of activity but then once the thread starter listed all the things wrong with the lights, how she wasn't happy with them, how they didn't really put out as much light as her previous MH system...well, the flurry quickly died down and the thread has been buried.

watson3

You are always going to find mixed reviews on new products..My LFS has some and they look great and the PAR levels are comparable at certain bulb levels..Very controlled system though, seems worth the money..

useskaforevil

wow, sounds like a pretty crappy experience, but ive got the same unit as he/she and i havent had any problems with it. i couldn't tell you how they compare to metal halides beacuse ive never owned them (too afraid of fire, or they just hog too much electricity) but my solaris was only 2100. if you shop around you can get a great price. also whats the depth on a 125 high?

aw2x3

I'm just glad I'm not a reef person. The man really sticks it to you guys, on lighting prices.

useskaforevil, you say that you have one of these lights? How is the heat? How is the fan noise? my 125 is 24" deep.

useskaforevil

the heat is barely anything, i can put my hand on the underside of the light, and the onboard thermometer is between 80-85 , nothing ive had to compensate for. my tank is about 24-25inch deep too and it seems to be bright enough, but the only coral ive even had under these lights were some zoos, ive seen pictures of them bleaching sps that was positioned too close to the top. but ive only had these lights a month or so i dotn have any long term info. but i also havent had any real problems (one connecting collar screw was bent) the noise is no problem for me, its right next to my head when i watch tv and its not really distracting. the fan noise is pretty much the same as the few other built in systems ive had, pc fixtures or flourescent fixtures with built in fans. but its kinda hard to compare it to anything else. its a little like a slightly loud, but not overworked, computer fan.
ill get some pics when i can, i'm out of batteries (arent we all?) let me know what prices you find it for.

useskaforevil

oh also something that i often forget. dont look at the lights, they dotn look nearly as bright as MH, but 5 minutes later your eyes will hurt like hell...

I think that Solaris has the best price so far @ $2350. I have also seen something saying that someone was coming out with a new LED light with 2X the power. I think that they were also saying less money, but I haven't been able to find any real proof of that.
I have been thinking of moving my filter system to the garage. This would allow me to add a chiller and cut down on the noise and humidity in the house. one way or the other every time I open my wallet my credit card is looking back at me like this