solve my dissapearing water mystery

zanemoseley

ok so I've got my 10gal quarantine tank thats nearing the end of its cycle and I topped off the water yesterday and noticed that the water seemed to be a bit low but thought nothing about it, today after less than 24 hours I go to look at it and there was 1gal missing from the tank, there was no water on the stand it sits on, no water on the carpet, no water on the outside of the glass, I couldn't find any sign of a leak so I just topped it off again, the are no lights running on it now and an air pump, maxijet1200 and a penguin 180 filter running on the tank, I've had the tank for about 3 months with no leaking problems or anything, the tank's from walmart, so where's my water going

overanalyzer

you got a lot of salt creep??
Could be evaporating?? is it by vent?? furnace runing?? any HOB filters or anything??

j21kickster

sorry, i got thirsty- but are you sure there is no leak- i gallon in less than a day in a 10 gallon is not impossible but that sure it a lot of water

zanemoseley

2 Cats, HOB Penguin 180 filter, air pump, maxi 1200 till fish are in, there is a cover but has hole for filter ect. house is kept at 70 degrees. there has been a bunch of salt creep since adding the air pump and air curtain rods but the evaporation has been about 1/2-1 gallons of evaporation per week, I'm gonna check my SG when I get home to see if it is a leak

The air curtain is doing it, you should not keep air bubbling wands and stones in saltwater tanks. They greatly increase evaporation and spread saltcreep all over the place. Very small bubbles can also kill marine life.

justinx

I feel with you . . . . I had the same EXACT problem in my old tank where I would top off with the same amount on a daily basis, salinity stayed constant. And yet still, somehow . . . my water level still seemed to drop. Never figured it out though.