Some good news.

darthtang aw

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CAPTURED_SOLDIER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-05-31-12-31-09

darthtang aw

I'm glad he is freed.  But the precedence set is scary.
Not really. P.o.w. Exchange has been going on for a very long time. That is basically what this is from my pov.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So, if the war in AF is going to be over in DEC, then all the terrorists in Gitmo will have to be released, or prosecuted for war crimes.....

darthtang aw

So, if the war in AF is going to be over in DEC, then all the terrorists in Gitmo will have to be released, or prosecuted for war crimes.....
Should be. The ones captured in iraq should have already started processing.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be glad to see Americans leaving that God Forsaken country and hope they never return.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
This guy was apparently a deserter and several soldiers were killed attempting to locate him after he walked away from his station. He supposedly sent an email to his parents before deserting that he was ashamed to be an American.....An alleged former member of his squad tweeted this weekend that before he disappeared, Bergdahl once told him, "If deployment is lame, I'm going to get lost in the Mountains and make my way to China."

darthtang aw

The brass had not labeled him awol or as deserting. I have read conflicting reports on this. The guy have been disenfranchised withthe war and made some comments but i have also read he was taken by the enemy from a makeshift latrine.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I read the latrine hypothesis a few days ago, however, there were too many soldiers who knew him who were coming out saying he deserted. Also, there was some piece in the media a few yrs ago that covered him sending messages about not agreeing with the war, etc.

His father, also a supporter of the enemy, apparently tweeted on Wed. (just prior to appearing with Obama), "“working to free all Guantanamo prisoners. God will repay for the death of every Afghan child, amen."
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/brothers-arms-bash-bowe-bergdahl-traitor-article-1.1814106#ixzz33bWJZYTz
Anyway, yes we should have tried to get him back. Just as we should find out what happened. And if he was a deserter, or worse a traitor, then proceed with prosecuting him.

darthtang aw

I read the latrine hypothesis a few days ago, however, there were too many soldiers who knew him who were coming out saying he deserted.  Also, there was some piece in the media a few yrs ago that covered him sending messages about not agreeing with the war, etc. 
His father, also a supporter of the enemy, apparently tweeted on Wed. (just prior to appearing with Obama), "“working to free all Guantanamo prisoners. God will repay for the death of every Afghan child, amen."
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/brothers-arms-bash-bowe-bergdahl-traitor-article-1.1814106#ixzz33bWJZYTz

Anyway, yes we should have tried to get him back.  Just as we should find out what happened.  And if he was a deserter, or worse a traitor, then proceed with prosecuting him.
I agree with that. Especially since before the initial search and rescue missions each soldier was told to sign a non disclosure form.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is it remotely possible that the Obama Adm was not fully aware that Bergdahl was a deserter? Hard to believe they would go to such efforts that was bound to land Dems in scandal-ville a few months before the midterms.....

reefraff

First off they are Taliban fighters, The Taliban has not as far as I know shown any interest in signing any treaty with us so they don't have to be released. What is truly Ironic is back in January out government threw a fit over Afghanistan freeing some Taliban fighters and now we turn around and release their leaders?

darthtang aw

What i dont understand is, all five were wanted for trial by the U.N. For war crimes. Yet we held on to them instead of handing them over for these trials. Why? We just wasted money holding them.
As to if The President knew of this, i think he was expecting an opposite reaction. Most had forgot about the "rumors" of this guy's desertion. I had initially.

reefraff

My kid is in the Army and he called me the day after it happened and said there's a lot of pzzzzed off people. I guess its pretty common knowledge the guy disserted his post AND MAY have at least attempted to aid the Taliban. It is being reported that a 2010 DOD investigation found he had walked off post before and that's why they ended the intense search for him. The people in his squad were forced to sign non disclosure forms and couldn't speak about it until he was recovered. Now 0bama's goons at the white house are claiming those who didn't dissert their posts are lying.

2quills

My kid is in the Army and he called me the day after it happened and said there's a lot of pzzzzed off people. I guess its pretty common knowledge the guy disserted his post AND MAY have at least attempted to aid the Taliban. It is being reported that a 2010 DOD investigation found he had walked off post before and that's why they ended the intense search for him. The people in his squad were forced to sign non disclosure forms and couldn't speak about it until he was recovered. Now 0bama's goons at the white house are claiming those who didn't dissert their posts are lying.
Long time friend of my wife, her son is in a special forces unit in Afghanistan now. They are getting ready to deploy again soon. I heard they cut meals back to only two hot a day. Some of the night shifters are only getting one. There's like 5 guy's or so in his troop that never get anything from home so those that do typically share any goodies they get from friends or family. Wife's friend put out a call and we'd like to send a couple of boxes before they move out. Any ideas?
Sorry if this is off topic.

2quills

Why would they cut meals??  That's outrageous!  If snacks can be sent, then that would be best for sure.
Some ideas in this vid
http://www.anysoldier.com/HowToSend.cfm
Think it has something to due with budget cuts made last year in lieu of the wind down. Guess they figured those still left over there for a while to come don't need em.
Thanks, snacks are on the list for sure.

reefraff

For one area they cut out hot breakfast and they instead get MRE's. Not the end of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397751/some-good-news#post_3546562
Long time friend of my wife, her son is in a special forces unit in Afghanistan now. They are getting ready to deploy again soon. I heard they cut meals back to only two hot a day. Some of the night shifters are only getting one. There's like 5 guy's or so in his troop that never get anything from home so those that do typically share any goodies they get from friends or family. Wife's friend put out a call and we'd like to send a couple of boxes before they move out. Any ideas?
Sorry if this is off topic.
So to be clear are the guys not getting stuff in Afghanistan or are they getting ready to go, If they are in Afghanistan best way to ship is using flat rate shipping boxes from the post office, takes up to a month to get there. My wife has done it through a group called Blue Star Moms. Not sure if the ladies are still doing it or not but if you get me the name and address info of someone who is sharing the wealth I'll make sure they get some boxes to hand out.

2quills

For one area they cut out hot breakfast and they instead get MRE's. Not the end of the world.
So to be clear are the guys not getting stuff in Afghanistan or are they getting ready to go, If they are in Afghanistan best way to ship is using flat rate shipping boxes from the post office, takes up to a month to get there. My wife has done it through a group called Blue Star Moms. Not sure if the ladies are still doing it or not but if you get me the name and address info of someone who is sharing the wealth I'll make sure they get some boxes to hand out.
My understanding is they can pretty mucj get all the MREs they want. I don't think they are starving but cutting back from 3-4 down to 1-2 hasn't been great for moral over there with everything else going on. This is more or less a feel good package for them.
Thanks, I'll ask the wife his name. I believe the plan is to send flat rate boxes adressed to him minus his rank or military status and they'll share the wealth.