some input on progress

piggy

hello, i have in the last few months changed over from a 55 gal to a 130 gal. i would like some input the progress. here is a pic to start.

piggy

i have had this for about a year and i can't find out what it is :help: this is also the last pic at this time

nafracsana

Looks like a Goniopora to me AKA Flower Pot. Your pics look good, except it looks to me like you have a lot of green Algea, how long do you leave your lights on for?

piggy

hi NAF i leave the lights on for about 8 hrs (is this to long?)when the tank went thru its cycle the rocks just stayed green but i do notice that i have alge on the glass often.

diadema

Definitely unique! I'd take the rocks that are resting on the side glass and move them - trust me, when the coralline starts to spread you'll rue the day you leaned them on the glass.
In regards to the coral it does look a little like a goniopora - however, I have a quick question: when it's retracted, is the base rounded or flat?
Grab some snails to take care of the green algae and test your nitrates and report back. A few water changes might help clear it up.
Also - you're gonna want to keep your calcium and alkalinity in check to encourage coralline.

piggy

thanks for the info Diadema i was thinking about moving the rock around so i will get it off the glass.
when retracted the base is odd shaped i will send a pic. as soon as i get one
the nitrates are 0 but will do a water change

gregm779

This is Gonipora aka Flower Pot (Top Left) I've had mine for about 9 months now, you may want to go and get some DTs phytoplankton that will help it live longer.

shawnts106

This is Gonipora aka Flower Pot (Top Left) I've had mine for about 9 months now, you may want to go and get some DTs phytoplankton that will help it live longer.
:D
NNNNEEEED I say more people :) other people believe this too! :)

jimlssc24

Originally posted by piggy
i have had this for about a year and i can't find out what it is :help: this is also the last pic at this time

That is a cup coral. Make sure that you calcium levels are up
:yes:

shawnts106

That is a cup coral. Make sure that you calcium levels are up
Thats soo weird.. I got on here again and looked... and I thought the same thing due to if you look at the actual polyps!
wow!
yup, I bet money on a cup... just doesnt have the same characteristics as a Goniopora!