some kind of seastars

moopiespoo

Yesterday I got an amazing show piece of lr. All kinds of critters in it, including 2 baby seastars. They are white in color, their bodies are about the size of a pencil eraser and have like serpant star legs. What kind our these and would they be safe in my seahorse tank? They look so cute, I'd hate to have to get rid of them.

moopiespoo

HA HA Claw, Not from any store round here, It was actually a piece from a friends tank. I traded her my picasso trigger for it. I don't think she had any idea what a great piece this is.:p I hope she isn't reading this. (sorry Mel:D ) Claw have you been to death-co lately? I was in there yesterday(not buying fish) They have had a spotted grouper in one of their tanks for at least 2 months, I feel really bad for it, but you can tell its totally diseased.

killafins

You have to be careful with seastars and seahorses... some seastars can catch fish... think what they can do to ur babies!

the claw

Is that the sorry looking fish on the bottom row of tanks that is just laying there half dead? I sure wish we had more options here in town. I can't wait for my next trip to Portland. Did you ever go to the Tri-Cities?

moopiespoo

Claw, thats the fish I'm speaking err, typing of. It looked like crap when I first saw it. Hard to believe it has survived this long. Haven't made it to Tri-Cities yet, will keep you posted.
Killafins, is it all seastars or certain kinds that are dangerous. I suppose I could try to relocate these.

killafins

errr no... not all seastars are dangerous. The slow ones arn't a problem but I'm not sure. I don't know what type of seastar u r speaking of so I can't give a definete yes or no. I would try to describe it a little better and wait for ophioura. Also, she should be able to tell you how fast it would be and that kind of stuff. I'm sorry I'm not able to help further. :(

moopiespoo

bump
white, 5 serpant like legs, body size of pencil eraser, maybe slightly larger, came out of crevice in lr, move fairly fast.
Safe with seahorses?

ophiura

In all likelihood, this is Amphipholis squamata, a very common and harmless hitch hiker brittlestar. It will not get any larger (in total size, including legs) than about a quarter. It will reproduce readily and is considered a very beneficial critter.
This be the beast:

moopiespoo

TIS!! Good to hear they are harmless, I've grown quite fond of them and becomming obsessed with finding more. Soent over an hour last night searching:rolleyes: What do they eat. Thank you!:D