some more questions

daredevil

My LFS has the 24 in 2 x 65 Coralife Aqualight CF Hood 1x Actnic and 1x10,000k Straight Pin. Is this lighting good. Would it be enough for BTA and corals. I'm not gonna get any SPS corals. And if I get corals and an anenome, do I need to get a sump or protien skimmer?
Thanx:)

pontius

I don't think it would be enough, especially for an anenome. the general rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon. you should get a protein skimmer. a sump is nice, but not a necessity.

daredevil

thanks. Any1 else? Would a sump pay off in the future? MY LFS is selling one with protien skimmer for $230.
Thanx

ka0z4allu

That lighting would be ok for soft corals. A skimmer is a good idea. As for the sump, remember 2 good things about having one is more water volume, and you can take your equipment out of your display tank. I would recommend making your sump rather than buying one. Then you can set it up how you want it. My suggestion, setup a dual sump/refugium. You can google for plans to DIY.

T

thomas712

Well that lighting would give you about 4.5 watts per gallon. Personally I am a fan of VHO. With enough rockwork for a BTA to climb up for more light you may be able to do it. I did it with 4.22 watts before. I would try to find an aquacultured BTA for the best chance of sucess.
Sump is always a good idea, and I agree with making one out of another tank, search for the berlin classic for a cheap and reliable skimmer. Its about middle of the road but still dependable.
Your plans have possibilities but no guarentees. I'd go for it. But checkout all lighting possibilities first. How much does you LFS want for that lighting?
Thomas

daredevil

$200 for lights. They use em 2 keep BTA and RBTA, then again they have lots of rock to get to the top of the tank.
I just got 7 more lbs of LR today. I'm probably buy the sump. I'm only 12,so it would be harder for me to make it. It's $280 for the sump with protien skimmer and return pump.
Thanx BTW I'll go for it and c what happens.

snipe

Well first of all if you use your calculater he has almost 5 watts per gallon. Dont take that rude I was just stating.

ka0z4allu

Just remember that your LFS is only keeping the BTA's for a short time until they are sold. Not long term like you would in your tank.

daredevil

That's true. My LFS said with the $200 lights + my lights (will get stronger bulb) I should be fine. I might go with a DIY Sump. Anyone have any plans? Thanx

daredevil

BTW if I were 2 make a DIY sump, how many gallons? Would I use this design. I feel kinda stupid, but could someone explain 2 me how this works? Thanx

ka0z4allu

That design would give you a sump/refugium. But remember that a sump is only for putting your equipment. Some people even keep it as simple as using a rubbermaid container with an overflow from your tank and a powerhead for return.

ka0z4allu

baffles are used to cause the water to go over and under them before returning the water to the tank. The purpose is to calm the water before it reaches your return pump to prevent bubbles from getting pumped into your main tank.

daredevil

So your saying in my sump, I would put my emperor 280 in it or use a filter cartridge from the emperor? I'm just trying 2 figure out how 2 involve mechanical filteration.
OOOOOHHHHH. Just got an Idea while typing his. Ok read carefully. I use pvc piping to bring water out of the tank( do I use pump?) and put metal screen over the opening to keep fish from being sucked in. The pvc leads to a 10 gallon tank where my berlin classic is. The water gets cleaned by the skimmer then passes through 2 Emperor filter cartriges with black and white carbon( use 2 to cover whole opening). My heater will be there. This 10 gallon tank will be on a DIY stand and more pvc piping will lead the water from this tank to another 10 tank. The water will come into second tank via gravity. then that second tank will be the refugium. Then the water will go back 2 the display through pvc piping via a pump. Ha I feel very smart. Do u get it? The only question is if I need a pump to get the water from the display to the sump. BTW My LFS has this foam cube thing that eliminates bubbles I will put that at the end to keep bubbles out. Oh and how would I drill the tanks? What would I put in the refugium beside LS and LR? Cleaner Clams? Would it be ok to put snails in it to keep it clean? What ya think?

herp_house

ok first of all i am kinda confuzed on what it is your are discribning but ill try and help! no pump to get water from your tank to your sump, have it done by gravity. to do that you will meed to take all the air out of the high part of you pvc pipe by sticking iar line up it and sucking the air out with your mouth (yeah i know kinda gross buy you have eto do it) i like the idea of pvc to get water from the tank to your sump, its cheap/easy and it sounds like it will work. on now it sounded like you wanted to use 2 10gallon tanks? sounds like more of a hassle than what it is worth, go buy a 20gallon long. the buble baffles are not really to stop bubles from getting in the water like you are thinking, what they do is make the water calm. if the water was turbulent air will get sucked into your pump and blow air bubbles all over your tank. for what i understand with having a refugium is you will only need like 1/5 of the filterd water to run into it do you can eather plit your water tube going into your tank and have a valve on it or use a really small pump/power head and some tubing to get water into it. as for stuff to have in your refugium i have herd of people using brittle stars, lr, ls, different filter feeders, alot of plant life, cleaner clams, bristle worms, shrimp, snails, crabs, and other stuff. just remember about lighting your refugium. one of the main reasons for having a sump is to increase your water volume and to hide your heater and protine skimmer, and the refugium is for aditional bio filtration. i gope i was able to help you with what you are planning to do. if you plan to make your ouwn sump/refugium go out and buy some plexi glass for your bubble baffles.

daredevil

ok thanx.
U really think it will work? I saw somwone selling Macro Algae. What is it? So if I were to follow something along the lines of the pic I posted it would be ok. Would the return pump be strong enought to pump the water back UP to the tank? Would I have to use a valve or would I have a return pump area and a split to the ref like on the pic I posted. Would some of the water go to the right towards the ref? How thick of pvc? Thanks.

daredevil

I just figured out that a 20 gallon long cannot fit underneath my aquarium in my stand. A 20 gallon high can't fit either. I'm gonna c if the 2 10s can fit.