Some new pics, 3 reidi and tankmates

pete159

no, there's nothing in the tank that picks on seahorse, or any other fish. Everyone is very happy and seahorse have alot more tank mate choices i think, at least with reidi. just make sure everyone gets enough food
Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2497350
do your seahorses get picked on at all?

pete159

I have not raised the fry yet, reidi fry are alot harder but now that both males are larger i think i will give it a try, anyone have tips for raising reidi fry?
The 4 green chromis all died 1 day after the other, oh well i did not care and will not get that fish again, unless its a 90g or larger tank.

veronicad

No experience here, but aren't Reidi one of the hardest fry to raise? I wish you well. Keep all of us up on your progress please.

BTW, your tank is beautiful

poniegirl

Originally Posted by veronicad
http:///forum/post/2519787
No experience here, but aren't Reidi one of the hardest fry to raise? I wish you well. Keep all of us up on your progress please.

BTW, your tank is beautiful
Reidi fry supposedly go through a prolonged pelagic phase (they free float). Seahorse fry who are benthic (hitch near substrate) are suppose to be easier.
The pelagic fry can tend to snick in air accidentally or get trapped by surface tension.
I think it also makes a difference if the male papa is more mature, healthy and larger (which Pete's seem to be very healthy!). He will naturally produce healthier, larger fry. Obviously larger fry will be easier to feed and will be stronger in general.
I have wondered if there could be a way to fashion a sort of "false surface" below the natural tank surface...I'm not sure what media that would need to be.
That tank is very beautiful, Pete, and I applaud your choice of tankmates.

suzy

I would design a kriesal tank. IME, fry are very weak, and the kriesal design keeps the fry where their food is, keeping both in proximity. Newborn fry are very weak, and they really can't chase their prey.
I would also recommend getting a few cultures of rotifers going now. I really think nutrition is key in the first few weeks, so I would make sure the rots are packed with the strongest phyto you can get.
You should be able to get them to eat BBS in a few weeks, but again, make sure you find the strongest enrichment you can buy.
I am wondering if you should just skip the bbs part, though. Go straight from rots to frozen cyclopeeze and tiggerpods?

pete159

has anyone heard of fairy warsses's going blind?
mine seems to be just that and i do not think it has long to live.
i wonder if it never really got use to the cooler temps.
As for raising fry, i have a 10 gallon long tank that i could maybe turn into a tank for raising fry. If i were to do that what are some setup ideas i could use?

pete159

Right now there are 2 male and 1 female reidi ponys, one longnose hawkfish, one scooter blenny, and one purple firefish. its a 46g bowfront