Some new pieces

C

cmaxwell39

I got a few new frags this week. First up is a monti cap that is a cream/tan color base, but it has light blue polyps. The guy called it a blueberry polyp cap. Neat piece I think.
The next two are a couple of the new ORA corals that SWF has begun carrying. The first one is the german blue polyp digitata and second is the green stylophora. Let me know what you all think.

lion_crazz

Nice pieces! I got my pink birdsnest from ORA and it has been doing so well.
I wish their Pearlberry's were not so expensive because I would like one of those as well.

C

cmaxwell39

Thanks. Lion Crazz the pearlberry was one the wife and I were looking at, but it was out of stock when we put our order in earlier this week so it will have to wait till another time. It is a very nice looking coral though.

lion_crazz

I have seen the pearlberry's in a local fish store and they are incredible looking. I was not ready to shill out $65 though (and it was not that the store was overpriced. I only paid $26 for my birdsnest).

S

swalchemist

I had a Pearl Berry for a while now, I managed to get the first one in our area and when you do get it you will be amazed at it's color once it starts coloring up. It's growth rate under 2X250 HQI is remarkable so far. It will be ready to frag in another month if this continues LOL.
Your frags look nice, I suggest if you are getting ORA to find your self a Purple Plasma, one of there newest ones, it is amazing. I have a huge ORA collection and there coral is quite to par with many other more expensive online shops. I paid $60 for the Pearlberry at my LFS but in contrast I just bought an "Aurora Montipora" off line for much much more than the LFS. Don't get me wrong I would have paid the same price for it in the store if they had it, LOL it's amazing and I have seen nothing like it. ORA coral is a bargain IMO. The collection or rare and colorful SPS can be an expensive and addictive hobby. Why you think so many SPS growers have frag tanks, we have to pay for our addiction LOL. Unlike other brands at least ORA coral will meet you half way (to the bank).

chilwil84

and they dont put LE on the end like more and more online shops. the limited edition crap is getting out of hand

S

swalchemist

Actually your wrong about that, ORA does indeed have LE coral they just don't call them that. They release one or two every month that are limited ie, LFS can only order 1. The super Natural Cap, Pearlberry, Plum crazy, and Purple Plasma all are ORA LEs. Anytime you have a select stock of the same coral you are fraging from it is a "limited edition" They also have what they term as "Heirloom Coral". Not a thing wrong with that. I know where my coral(s) came from so I will pay a bit more to insure that they are not a knock off or look alike.

chilwil84

limited yes but being available to every shop at one is not like the only sell a couple a year that many of the online places do. when the drs have them available all the time like the pearlberry they arent rare. the ora limited have become available to the masses in months while the tyree and others took years to get to the volume available.

S

swalchemist

Yeh I supose your right but then again Tyree and ATL don't really have a massive operation going like ORA. Either way I could not be more happier with the coral I have gotten from either place, I like color, cost just does not matter in that quest, but if I do pay more I expect quality. I know I'm getting that with ORA and Tyree as well so both are quite equal in the quality dept IMO.

chilwil84

gotta love wat ora is doing for the sps game you can get a fast growing beautifully colored coral for 60 bucks or less for a frag instead of that 80 to 100 buck stuff. even though there are quite a few pieces that i would pay a 100 bucks for because there colors are phenominal, but to put le next to half your frags is getting crazy

C

cmaxwell39

These were my first two ORA corals. I was very pleased with them. The colors are as promised and they seem to be doing well so far. The blue polyp digi seems to be getting more purple/blue to its polyps as it gets more comfortable in the tank so I am excited to see that.
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. SWALchemist I will look around to try to find a picture of the purple plasma you referred to. I looked on ORA's website and it is not listed their. I will Deffinetely think more about a pearlberry as well. They look like a beautiful coral.

S

swalchemist

I just had my LFS order me in a "Voodoo Staghorn" Thats the newest one out from ORA, let you know about how it looks soon.

koesterkep

They look nice, your monti frag looks a little pale check your K level i noticed the same with my monti after getting my K level up to 400 it colored up real nice.

C

cmaxwell39

Originally Posted by koesterkep
http:///forum/post/2669079
They look nice, your monti frag looks a little pale check your K level i noticed the same with my monti after getting my K level up to 400 it colored up real nice.
That picture was taken less than 24 hours after it went into the tank. It has colored up a little, but this monti also has a really pale base so I think it is going to be just fine. Calcium and alk levels are pretty stable at 420 and 9 dkh.

koesterkep

Originally Posted by cmaxwell39
http:///forum/post/2669214
That picture was taken less than 24 hours after it went into the tank. It has colored up a little, but this monti also has a really pale base so I think it is going to be just fine. Calcium and alk levels are pretty stable at 420 and 9 dkh.
Sorry didn't know it was a 24 hour shot, never seen a pale based on like that before. Params look good. If color fades though lookinto potassium dosing.

C

cmaxwell39

No problem. The base on the monti has darkened up a little. Not a whole lot though. Maybe I will try to get an updated picture after work today. Depends on what time I get home.

C

cmaxwell39

A couple of updated pictures from last weekend. Had a chance to take them and then my week got so busy that I just got around to getting them uploaded today.