Some new purchases!

smork81

Just wanted to show off some of my new corals! Hope you enjoy!!

this guy here is over 6 inches across! very large and beautifull colors not just plain green.

the sun coral.

This is a side view. If anyone could tell me what exactly this is i would appreciate that. Fuzzy shroom??

Another fuzzy shroom maybe? Anyone know?

Thease are of course Zoos. Anyone know what kind?

This is the front view of the 3rd pic.

Some more Zoos..ANyone know what kind?

Oh the last pic here is my dwarf sea hare!! SOOO cute!
-Nika
I forgot what the names of some of these are..DOn't have a good memory here lol
If anyone could ID the ones ive asked for it would be helpfull so i can write it down in my tank diary..Thanks again

joojoo

Originally Posted by azfishgal
Is this the sun coral? VERY nice! Does it need a lot of light?
Sun coral actually need zero light, but spot feedings. Very nice, love the random yellow polyp it has, lol.

smork81

Yeh JooJoo I thought that was odd..One yellow polyp just there..Its always out and never retracts...I thought it may have been something other than the sun coral but i guess i just got an odd ball..
Thanks for all the replies everyone!
-nika

smork81

Originally Posted by jessica47421
those are awsome what is the name of the coral in the second pic??
some kind if fuzzy mushroom i think not sure :p
Opps I retract that statement...it is the sun coral in the second as everyone has said allready...was looking at the wrong order!

kevin34

Are sun corals hard to keep? I know they need to be spot fed but i wouldnt mind that. What do you feed them?

smork81

Well i just got it (the sun coral) But so far on all the research i have done mysis is their favorite allthough they will take cyclopeeze and zooplankton i believe.. They open up the tentacles at night to filter water so they need no light basicly..But feed once a day minimum. I take mine out of the tank and put it in a bowl of tank water after i have turned lights off in the tank and feed them this way so nothing else can snatch their food. ALso depending on how small/big these are makes a difference on what you can feed them. If its really small i think cyclopeeze is best until it can graduate to larger items like mysis. I have also read you can train these guys to open during the day and if you keep a very rigid feeding schedule on it they will allready have their extensions out waiting on you to feed them. I am no expert on corals!! this is just what i have gathered in my research to keep this guy happy so don't take my word for it. Do yourown research and ask ask ask questions.

-nika

smork81

Originally Posted by newtankman
Very nice tank!!!!!!!! ***)
thanks! I cant get a full shot of my tank thats on focus or id post it..

kevin34

Originally Posted by Smork81
Well i just got it (the sun coral) But so far on all the research i have done mysis is their favorite allthough they will take cyclopeeze and zooplankton i believe.. They open up the tentacles at night to filter water so they need no light basicly..But feed once a day minimum. I take mine out of the tank and put it in a bowl of tank water after i have turned lights off in the tank and feed them this way so nothing else can snatch their food. ALso depending on how small/big these are makes a difference on what you can feed them. If its really small i think cyclopeeze is best until it can graduate to larger items like mysis. I have also read you can train these guys to open during the day and if you keep a very rigid feeding schedule on it they will allready have their extensions out waiting on you to feed them. I am no expert on corals!! this is just what i have gathered in my research to keep this guy happy so don't take my word for it. Do yourown research and ask ask ask questions.

-nika
Thanks for the help. So does this coral have to be open in order to feed it? Also instead of taking it out the tank each time to feed it you could use the soda bottle method.

smork81

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Thanks for the help. So does this coral have to be open in order to feed it? Also instead of taking it out the tank each time to feed it you could use the soda bottle method.

Yeh thats what i have read also using the soda bottle method..It is just easier for me to take it out since its only a 55g. I suppose it will open up when it senses food..But yes it tents will have to be out for it to feed.

wangotango

Originally Posted by Smork81
Yeh thats what i have read also using the soda bottle method..It is just easier for me to take it out since its only a 55g. I suppose it will open up when it senses food..But yes it tents will have to be out for it to feed.
you can put it in another container, but i just feed mine in my tank while the pumps are off. i wait until at least 1/2 of them are open then feed frozen mysis shrimp via a turkey baster. then i wait 1/2 an hour or so for them to take it all in before i turn the pumps back on. not a very hard to keep coral at all and very beautiful.
-Justin

smork81

Originally Posted by WangoTango
you can put it in another container, but i just feed mine in my tank while the pumps are off. i wait until at least 1/2 of them are open then feed frozen mysis shrimp via a turkey baster. then i wait 1/2 an hour or so for them to take it all in before i turn the pumps back on. not a very hard to keep coral at all and very beautiful.
-Justin

That's a good idea. I will try doing that and see how it goes. Thanks Justin!
Also anyone know if the sun coral can be hurt by Metal halide lighting? I know they do not need liths but if they have to much halides on them will it affect them negativly in anyway possible?
And ID's on the shroom things anyone??
-nika

smork81

Originally Posted by joojoo
Looks like a regular ol' frilly mushroom to me.
Both of them joojoo? ones green with pink frilly's, one's just red/orange and on the same rock with the red/orange one there is one thats pink with green frilly's...Maybe i could get a better pic of all three causeon one rock there are 2 kinds. They are still really cool!! IMO