Some of the guys...

nm reef

Just took some pics of the reef under actinic lights...not the best quality but they are recent...:cool:

What ya think of the guys?:cool:

mflee9

Very cool pics, NM Reef.
Would you mind taking a look at my thread titled "Is this a big problem"? I would appreciate any advice you have for me.
Thanks

ryebread

That first pic is of an ALVEOPORA (sp?) type of flowerpot coral.......down the line from the normal goniopora flowerpot. I love them.

nm reef

Thanks for the comments.....Ryebread is right the first pic is of a branching alveopora. Glad ya'all like the pics...its a pleasure to be able to post them...but its a even greater pleasure to keep these creatures in my house where I get to see them every day.......gotta love this hobby huh...:cool:

hairtrigger

That alveopora is absolutly gorgeous. What kind of lighting does it need, strong, med, low? And water flow too?
Are the common, because I have never seen one.
And now I want one. :D

nm reef

The alveopora does well with moderate to intense light and a moderate current. It is closely related to gonioporas and the care is about the same. However they do seem to be a more hardy addition than gonioporas. I firmly believe that a stable / mature system with a active refugium that can replace/maintain pod populations is a key to my success with both alveoporas and goniporas. Neither is a coral that I would suggest unless the system is capable of sustaining them long term.
That said I've managed to keep both gonioporas and alveoporas with limited success so far...the alveopora does much better(I've actually fragged the alveopora pictured) but neither coral should be considered prior to careful research and cosideration...they simply do not have a good survival record.:cool:
Here is a different alveopora in my system...this one is a smaller tentacle structure and it is encrusting rather than branching:

This is my pride and joy...my gonipora that has done extremely well for close to 9 months now....I am convincied that my refugium/pod population are vital to maintaining this coral:

This is another pic of my alveopra from a few weeks back:

:cool:

hairtrigger

Man, those are corals to be proud of. I am glad you filled me in on that. I just changed from aggressives back to reef about two months ago. So, I should probably hold off on those. When you say mature... running for more than 12 months?

nm reef

When you say mature... running for more than 12 months?
By "mature" I would mean a system that has stable consistent water levels...minimal fluctuations...and a growing micro fauna population. A mature system in my mind would be one that is capable of sustaining itself and not loose stabality if minor problems arise...best way I could explain would be to say that I'm confident that if there were a minor ammonia spike in my reef then the filtering capacity and stability of my reef would be able to quickly over come and re-stabalise my system...does that make any sense at all?:cool:

hairtrigger

Of course, without a doubt I follow you. Fortunately, I have had the same 200 pounds of live rock for about three years. The sand bed is getting established again. But, the tank is quite established. I have just recently been adding corals again. It still has a little time to go before it gets self sufficient like you say. I am still raising the sand bed, getting water flow and everything straight. But, as far as water quality, this thing is great. I want to play it safe though.