some one please help this is my 3rd post!!

bwilson

Dont want to get you two started again
but thanks I learned alot!!! I have another question. I am just starting my tank should I get a QT tank for before I put my first fish in the tank?
Also just to be clear based on what I gathered. I can use a 40gal with a fruval 404 and a old powerhead light and heater for my QT. Also I could get some live rock if I want but never put it in my main tank.
If I ever have to treat a fish for some reason, after the fish comes back to health and is out of the tank should I restart the set up?
BW

fishieness

hey fedukeford: I know you live in NY, but you didnt happen to be in emmons in simsbury ct today did you? lol Someone there was asking the exact same questions.

carshark

Originally Posted by bwilson
Dont want to get you two started again
but thanks I learned alot!!! I have another question. I am just starting my tank should I get a QT tank for before I put my first fish in the tank?
Also just to be clear based on what I gathered. I can use a 40gal with a fruval 404 and a old powerhead light and heater for my QT. Also I could get some live rock if I want but never put it in my main tank.
If I ever have to treat a fish for some reason, after the fish comes back to health and is out of the tank should I restart the set up?
BW

you may put the live rock in your tank, provided that if you ever treat a fish with hyposalinity that you let the rock cycle back to health before putting it in your main, if you treat any disease with chemicals never put it in your main tank, so that is why really live rock is not neccessary in a QT and also could provide a problem in the future for your QT, think of it this way if you have live rock in your QT and you decide to treat the tank and a infected fish, you will have die off from the rock during/after treatment so more water changes are neccessary and the water perameters could suffer. so really a piece of decoration and/or PVC piping with no substrate and proper filtering/heating/circulaton is all you need. and as far as the comment about the first fish, yes you will want to QT him before you put him into your main display, save any kind of disease from ever reaching your main, so yes you will want to set up your QT before adding any fish to your personal hobby at all.....good luck!