some pics of my new 46 gal 3wks old

made4water

Originally Posted by bcott
It's better than my 46gal and mine has been set up for almost 4 years. What type of lighting are you using?

36" JBJ formosa dx...i went and checked out your 46g and i like how you positioned your live rock to create like a hidden underwater lagoon. looks great
Logan

made4water

anybody have any advice for getting rid of bristle worms? Can they kill shrimp? Last night i had a bristle worm and a shrimp fighting over a dead cleaner shrimp( i have no idea how he died) can anemones or bristle worms sting shrimp so that they die?
Logan

wangotango

3 weeks? wow! bristle worms usually arent a problem, and i havent heard of them stinging anything to death before. you're sure it was a dead shrimp and not a molt? and if you've lost a couple of shrimp within the three week period maybe something may not be 100% but all of your levels seem fine. nice tank by the way. have you had any problems with the firefish picking on each other? im thinking of adding about 3 to my 55.
-Justin

made4water

Does a molt also have antenas? and as far as the fire fish poking at each other... that hasnt happened yet that i know of.
Logan

fc307

I was told that my tank cycled in a week and half by using live sand and cured rock. I bought cured rock 6 weeks before I started the tank and did regular water changes. Tank looks great for 3 weeks....

mudplayerx

That is way too many corals for a 3 week old tank. You should've waited at least 2 months, and added corals slowly. Best of luck though. Keep an eye on those water levels. I would test daily or at least 3-4 times a week for another month.

wangotango

Originally Posted by made4water
Does a molt also have antenas? and as far as the fire fish poking at each other... that hasnt happened yet that i know of.
Logan
the molt usually has antenas or at least my CBS does, but they could easily pop off. i wouldnt replace anything yet and give the tank some "catch up time". just because the tank is cycled doesnt meant that it's ready for its entire stock. your biological filter is still too imature to handle the load, and it needs to stabilize after every animal introduction. the tank probably isnt going to crash, but slow and steady is key.
-Justin

ophiura

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
That is way too many corals for a 3 week old tank. You should've waited at least 2 months, and added corals slowly. Best of luck though. Keep an eye on those water levels. I would test daily or at least 3-4 times a week for another month.

I couldn't agree more

I would strongly encourage you to slow down. Patience is key in the hobby, even when excitement rules.
it is pretty, but I see a possible disaster and heartbreak if this pace continues. There are loads of parameters that are still stabilizing in a tank, long after the itty bitty fraction that we test are "good."
It looks nice. I do hope it stays that way