Some powerhead positioning questions...

peckhead

firstly, i have 2 modded maxi jets. a 900 and 1200 with sureflow mods. they are said to put out 1600gph. my return is a mag 9.5 but i use thinner tubing(3/4" hard pvc heated and bent with no 90degree elbows. is this enough for a 90g or should i get another powerhead or 2? i keep a little of everything.
second, should i put them all on the back glass and let the water hit front glass and bounce back? right now i have 1 on each SIDE of the tank but one closer to the front glass and the other closer to the back glass

rcoultas

Those ph's will give you better than 17x flow at 1600gph - that is pretty decent - depends on how everything is set up in tank. Normally ph's are placed upper rear corners and aimed midway front and center so that their flows collide and create even better turbulance. You can try that and then fine tune from there. GL

peckhead

well it seems like alot of people have there powerheads on the back walls so i was wondering will putting them back there still give flow to everywhere in my tank? even behind the rocks(they arent touching the back glass at all).

rcoultas

Every tank is different because of the way things are set up in them so you'll need to experiment until you get it right. On one of mine I use the return from sump behind my rock work and two koralia 3 set up like i said in last post - i have good flow everywhere. It's just trial and error.

C

calvertbill

My tank's footprint is 120"x24" and is 36" tall. I've been wondering about aiming a few koriolis 3s and a 4 from the eurobraces and aim them at 45 degree angles in addition to a couple in the back. I had thought of up to 5 phs in addition to the 2 returns.

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by rcoultas
Normally ph's are placed upper rear corners and aimed midway front and center so that their flows collide and create even better turbulance.
This is how I have mine. One Sure Flow 1600 on MJ1200 on one side and 2 modded Tunze 6025s on the other. Lots of flow everywhere.
And as to Calvert, I think putting a PH on the eurobrace would create vortexes and spray air bubble all over your tank. With high flow PHs, you need to have them a certain distance below the surface and I dont think it would be enough if you hang it from the brace.