Some questions for a 29

jr2857

ok i have a few questions to be answered. first how many pounds of fiji live rock would be needed to fill a 29 gallon a few inches from the top? second what types of anenomes will host an ocellaris clown AND be able to live in a 29? third would this stocking list sound fine:
1 flame or coral beauty angel
1 royal gramma
pair of ocellaris clowns
thanks!

dejaco

Okay let me start out by saying a 29 will hold 30 lbs of live rock just fine. with a little
gravel on the floor and that rock I will only really need 20 gallons of water. In a tank volume like that consider 2 little fishes and some inverts! I really don't think you want to try and put an anemone in there. With so little water conditions can change quickly.
Nothing good ever happens quickly in a saltwater tank. I have a 29 g set up as a quarentine tank to hold new arrivals until they go into the display. If any treat ment is needed then I put them into a 20 g or 10 g to medicate - and then back into quarentine tank. IMO any salt endeavor under 40 gallons is for experts only who love to fiddle around. Anemones need lots of light and impeccable water quality to survive. Sorry to rain on your parade, but someone should be straight with ya.

krazekajin

my $.02 worth
I have a 29 gallon that I set up in October of 2005. It was my first SW tank. I have a Protein Skimmer, Fluval 304 canister filter, 305 watts of MH and PC.
I have had awesome success. I have found that SW is easy if you take it slow and simple. I have not had any problems with massive level swings. I have about 35lbs of Live Rock. My premise is simple. Get LR pieces that are light and porus, that way you have more surface area for the bacteria. I have aobut 5 inches of space between the top of the LR and surface of the water.
I have a BTA (bubble tip anemone) that is absolutly huge and growing. It is mated with a maroon clownfish. I also have a yellow tang that is going into my 48in long tank soon (so back off tang police. I bought the tang without research, but I have fixed the problem. Right now it is about the size of a silver dollar.)
I have found that my 29 gallon is a perfect size. Lots of luck with this tank. I also have star polyps, a branching gonoporia, Hammer coral, lots of zoos, a blushing soft coral, a leather coral, and a couple of mushrooms
IMO, you should be fine with that stocking list, if you have a good protein skimmer.

krazekajin

In my previous post, I listed my corals. I think you can have any coral, as long as you have the lighting and you can feed them what they want. The problem is space. Some corals can't get a long with each other adn you have limited amount of space to seperate them.

mrob

I also have 29 gal doing well as fowlr and want to add some anemones or corals. Here's the dumb question I have that I've been wanting to ask....as these things can sting, how do you handle them when putting them in the tank? :notsure:

krazekajin

I have pretty rough hands from manual labor and I have never felt a sting from anything. I have an anemone that I touch, a hammer coral, zoos (although I found out they have a poison that might be deadly, so I try not to touch them too much) gonoporia, star polyps. I have not been stung at all. I place the corals in my tank and that is that.

jr2857

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
In my previous post, I listed my corals. I think you can have any coral, as long as you have the lighting and you can feed them what they want. The problem is space. Some corals can't get a long with each other adn you have limited amount of space to seperate them.
i was typing when you were typing and you posted first soory.

mrob

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
I have pretty rough hands from manual labor and I have never felt a sting from anything. I have an anemone that I touch, a hammer coral, zoos (although I found out they have a poison that might be deadly, so I try not to touch them too much) gonoporia, star polyps. I have not been stung at all. I place the corals in my tank and that is that.
Thanks for the input. Awesome pics you posted.