something funny a lfs

wablondie98664

we went to the lfs today to get an anemone today and we saw a 10 gal aquarium filled with plain base rock,nothing at all growing on it yet. they had it posted as live rock selling it for $6LB:rolleyes: . my husband i got a good laugh at that.

F

fishkid1000

Man 6 bucks a pound for LR. I can get any type here for 3 a pound.

lionstorm

i've seen one of my LFS doing the same, they put a sign that says "live rock $5.99 a lb" over a tank filled with completely lifeless rock. No coraline anywhere, no algae at all. And it's like...."right"

cindyski

that is pretty rotten, did you say anything? some & most newbies like myself might not realize they are getting ripped off!

reefnut

I've always thought that base rock was dry un-cured rock?? All of the LFS around here sell plain lifeless rock as LR for around 5.99lb. My favorite LFS has a 500g sump type tank that they keep there LR in with no lights or nothing. If you get coraline on a rock it most likely got sold back to the store by a local reefer. So I'm I getting screwed or what?

reefnut

fishkid, I'm thinking road trip. Biose is olny about 6- hours from here. Have you been to Garf?

D

daniel411

Really nice live rock around here can go for up to 12 dollars a pound! But its also absolutely covered in coraline, macro algae, corals, sponges, and I've yet to not get a cool surprise with a large purchase.

ablincoln01

We just paid $9.00 a pound for some nice LR. We have some nice red algae and some type of white bubble looking stuff all over.

wrassecal

Aaron $6 a lb in Norman at Crystal Clear. I never pick my pieces out of the lr tank though. I pick good coralline pieces out of the other tanks.

wablondie98664

lol i dont think anyone got what i was trying to say in this post, the rock, no joke, looked like someone had went in their back yard and dug a few holes and took whatever rocks they found, and droped it in a tank and said it was lr, it was sooo bad it wasnt funny, and they were trying to get $6/lb for it, wish i had got a pic of it lol

tim_russell

5.99 a lb. WOW. Here, LIFELESS liverock goes for 10.99 a lb, and if you get 50 or more lbs, you can get the great deal of 7.99. Gasp. I'd rather take a chance and buy it online then for that price. By the way, how is swf.com's lr?

bioreefer

I cure my own does any one else do so I think the most I ever pay for LR was 7 dollars a pound it made me sick! but doctor fosters and smith has tonga branch 24 lbs for 89.99 for a box even with shipping it comes out to be 4.99 a pound I am jumping on that deal:)