something growing on my glass-need help

zoie2

I recently bought some new coral so I'm thinking it came off those, not sure though.
I know what hair algae looks like, and I don't think this is. It's too small to get a picture, but I will try later.
from the outside of the tank it looks like a tiny dot. when you look at the inside there is a single little green like sea weed, or grass growing. It's not in bunches, but it is all over. Each dot is a single little piece (with 3-4 little branching pieces) and is shorter than a 1/4 inch.
It's not growing on my rock or coral, only on the glass. I'm afraid if I scrape it off with a razor, it will start growing everywhere.
My tank is a 12 gal, 3 yrs old. I use R.O water. The temp is 79,
amonia-0
nitrates-0
nitrites-0
PH -7.8
salinity- last 2# are 24
Any suggestions would be great!!

zoie2

I knda got pictures. I didn't think the camera would focus in on the glass. I thought it would see what ever was beyond it anyway.
I circled the green things, and I put black dots to show how they are everywhere.
Hope it helps, not sure how good the pic is.

whisk

it looks like green hair algae. just scrape it off with a mag float. I got some too when my tank was going through its first stages.

whisk

how's your phosphates, that could lead to algae growth as well. and how long is your light cycle each day? i scraped mine off and it hasnt spread around the tank. I havent seen it since the first month i got it.

you might have a phosphate problem test for phosphates, im going through the same thing but i messed up by adding tap water for my topoff water.. smh

saltie

I agree it looks like algae. Every tank has some form or another during the initial cycle. Many people run into this same situation you describe, your tank has already cycled and you have not noticed a problem for quite some time (if ever). What you have to realize is that anytime you add something new (fish/coral/other critters) there is a potential for a small algae bloom (the smaller the tank the bigger the bloom appears).
It is relatively harmless and will soon work itself out. My advice:
1. Scrape it off the glass.
2. Keep with regular water changes.
3. Clean the filters (don’t replace with new, just clean the existing ones)
4. Take it slow, add to your tank little by little.
Tank looks great! Keep up the good work!

zoie2

The magfloat won't clean it off, I tried it. I'll have to use a razor which I was going to do, but was afraid. I have to scrape off my coraline anyway.
I thought if you used R.O. water, you couldn't have a problem with phosphates. Did I hear wrong?
Thanks guys!!!