Something horrible happened but it's alright now!

crt81

So last light I woke up at 2:00 to get water and I saw that the power was out, not thinking I went back to bed. So at 4:00 I woke again, this time to the sound of rain. So I looked at the clock and saw it was blinking like the power went out (forgot all about when I woke up earlier), so I went to see my tank to make sure everything was okay, and It WASN'T!!!!! The lights and fans all worked but the major part of the whole tank was the pump. It was dead! I hurried to get an airstone and put that in the tank. Everything is okay now, I got the pump replaced and all is good. I didn't even loose any of my fish or corals!!!!
See I have a 12 gallon aquapod, and I've heard the pumps can go out, so I guess that's what happened.
Or do you thing the power outage did it?

So here's my question- Should I add anything to the tank since the power in my tank was out for 4 1/2 hours (chemicals, etc.)?
I did do a water change, and I'll do a few more throughout the week (maybe every other day). How long should I do water changes?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by crt81
So last light I woke up at 2:00 to get water and I saw that the power was out, not thinking I went back to bed. So at 4:00 I woke again, this time to the sound of rain. So I looked at the clock and saw it was blinking like the power went out (forgot all about when I woke up earlier), so I went to see my tank to make sure everything was okay, and It WASN'T!!!!! The lights and fans all worked but the major part of the whole tank was the pump. It was dead! I hurried to get an airstone and put that in the tank. Everything is okay now, I got the pump replaced and all is good. I didn't even loose any of my fish or corals!!!!
See I have a 12 gallon aquapod, and I've heard the pumps can go out, so I guess that's what happened.
Or do you thing the power outage did it?

So here's my question- Should I add anything to the tank since the power in my tank was out for 4 1/2 hours (chemicals, etc.)?
I did do a water change, and I'll do a few more throughout the week (maybe every other day). How long should I do water changes?

Check your water perameters for a spike in amonia or anything, IF nothing your lucky and in good shape, good job with the water pump and airstone! You probably had a power surge that took out your power head maybe put the system on a surge protector to be sure!

crt81

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Check your water perameters for a spike in amonia or anything, IF nothing your lucky and in good shape, good job with the water pump and airstone! You probably had a power surge that took out your power head maybe put the system on a surge protector to be sure!
You think a surge protector would help?

miaheatlvr

Yes definately, thats what they are made for anyway..

R

reefernana

Surge strips are for preventing a spike of electricity. It stops it from going any further than the connection in the strip. It won't stop the electricity from going out, it just makes sure it doesn't fry anything that's plugged into it.