Something is beating up my Clown.

lutz493

Hello -
My tankmates are a Yellow Tang, 2 B/W Percs, couple chromis and a Watchman Goby.
They've been in the tank together over a year, never any agression.
One of my Percs over the last week is looking really beat-up.
He has what look like a few missing scales, and there is a small peice on the tip of one of his fins missing.
Recently my clowns started hosting a torch - Since the 2 clowns have been fighting a little bit, but I only took this as part of their mating ritual.
The 2 clowns still swim together and will go between my Alvepora and Torch trying to host.
Could the female in their mating techniques be so agressive to the male that is it physically damaging it?
I've been watching like a hawk and the only fish that come in contact with eachother or the 2 clowns.
What should I do here?

chandler04

Nothing, just let it go unless he starts to get hurt even more. It might be the yellow tang, territorial and all. See how it goes

lutz493

Hopefully things calm down.
I work out of the house and my tank is moreless next to my desk so I stare it a good 8 hours or so a day.
The Tang doesn't chase or go after anyone. He hangs out but I've never seen him chase anyone off.
Since the Clowns started hosting, they have been doing some chasing off of the Green Chromis, but I dunno that a Green Chromis would actually go after the percs.
As I look at the tank now, I have 1 clown in the Torch and 1 in the Alvepora.
I quest if the male is trying to get in with the female in her torch and she is not letting him.
Is it possible now that after a year they have decided to host corals in the tank, the relationship of 'mated' pair is going to be broken off?

ekclark

if it looks like a bite mark on the fin, I would think it was one of the chromis. I have never seen a yellow bite another fish, just use their little shank, and I don't know if their mouth is shaped right to be biting a quick moving clown.

lutz493

I checked the tank before I grabbed some food.
The fish thought it was feeding time and quickly moved up towards the surface.
The clown that is beat-up just went nuts and started chasing my chromis all over.
Is it possible that my Perculas have reached a new level of maturity, where now they have started to become agressive to protect their new territory?
Is this new agression going to go away after time when they feel their new home is theirs?
Never heard of having to remove Chromis/Percs because they were trying to kill eachother....

frozenice

Clowns can get very aggressive during mating. I had two sebaes in a anemone the female got much larger than the male and wouldn't let him near "her" anemone. i had bought all three of the creatures at my LFS together. The female picked on the male so much the male got stressed out and died. Before he died i ha d a guy form my LFS to come out and check on my tank (The male sebae was already beaten up) he said my male sebae had tuberculosis
owell my anemone and male sebae died and i took the female back to the store. (she was getting to aggressive for my tank)

ekclark

they are both damsels and they seem to know it. My tomato hates my yellow tail damsel, even chases the little guy all over the tank. They have plenty of room, but I guess there is something they recognize as competition from one of their cousins.

lutz493

It seems the agression has subsided a little bit.
Both my clowns look beat-up - The Clowns are the agressor but the chromis or definately winning this fight.
Hope these clowns wise-up soon - Don't really want me to favorite fish looking all ragged in my tank.