Something is eating all my shrimp!!!!!!!!!!!

kaotik

how are the rest of your inverts doing? could it be because of salinity or a water parameter that is off?
my cleaner shrimp walks all over my LTA all the time and even tries to steal its food!

Brine shrimp, frozen krill and mysis shrimp and some food I made for my tangs. :joy: I feed Nori flake and pellets also. I would say a big variety they aren't starving.

ophiura

But that is all floating stuff...not as substantial as squid or shrimp or something. (OH, CORRECTION - just noticed the krill so that is something larger :yes: )
Are they spot fed or left to scavenge? IMO, most of us are worried about water quality and are heavy on the clean up crew. That wouldn't leave much food for them, IMO. Not that spot feeding prevents predation, but if they aren't, I can see where they might very well be hungry and following instincts. Still, I would again expect you to notice a huge distension of the disk of the stars, possible damage to the disk.
What color are these stars? The green is a known predator....
Anyway, if you are suspicious, return them to the LFS, or they will work in a refugium.

I don't spot feed when I put the food in there the come out like they have not eaten in weeks! :eek: I feed every other day at least three times morning, noon, and night.

wax32

Originally Posted by bergamer
not a camel shrimp- they are not reef safe- I mean a true dancing shrimp
red with white spots and the tails turns upward and hangs over the shrimps head.
THen the dancing, as the tail goes back and forth really fast.
Camelback shrimps aka Dancing Shrimps aka Hinge-Beak Prawns aka Rhynchocinetes sp. aren't considered reef safe.
Sexy Shrimps are a different critter altogether.