something is eating my snails!!

dapak83

something keeps eating my turbos.. every day or 2 i c another snail turned over and missing!!!
i got 2 little blu leg hermits and a cleaner shrimp... i cant fuiger out who keeps eating my snails!

scsinet

How many turbos do you have and how old is the system? Snails have a very high mortality rate if there is not a plentiful food source, and they will die in droves. If you find the shells empty, that doesn't mean they aren't dying from other causes... it just means your janitor crew is doing it's job.
If the shells are not damaged, then it's not a mantis. If something is killing them, it's also spending time eating them, and a snail is a big hunk of meat, which takes a while to eat. Check the tank at night repeatedly with a small flashlight to see if you can identify a culprit. It could be that you have a rock crab or some other hitchhiking predator, but they may just be dying on their own.
Don't be surprised if you see a hermit crab or cleaner shrimp going at it though... but that doesn't mean they are the killers. They may have just died of natural causes. However, if something is killing them, it's a cinch whatever it is is going to stick around to eat it.

dapak83

well originaly i had 10 that were eating by my chocolate chip star... but hes not in there any more i got 10 from which 5 are dead now... so i gues i m left with 5.. i dont c why the hermits would attack em there are plenty of shells there for them to use... and 3 nas snails in a 55... i dont think thats too many i was thinking of getin some more!

scsinet

On every reef I've set up, I stock it with snails and the snails die off until the food supply matches the snail population.
Hermits attacking for shells does happen, but generally only with the larger hermits and snails such as Nassirus which do not have that hard shell flap to cover their opening. Turbos with that hard flap are tough nuts to crack for a tiny hermit crab.

scsinet

Ummm... how old is this system? If you have diatoms... have you even completed cycling yet? Perhaps ammonia?
I don't know if snails eat diatoms or not... never had them in there at the same time as the diatoms....
I gotta go to bed... I'll check this thread in the morning.

dapak83

system is just about 2 yrs old... i cant check the amonia but my nitrates keep getin higher cuz of the snails dying....i asked about the diatoms before in this post they told me cuz i dont have enough water flow.. i only got about 10x.... i will be geting more phs with a wavemaker.. and my skimmer shud be coming in this week!