Something my Cleaner Shrimp won't eat???

jessecnc

I love my cleaner shrimp...pretty, lots of personality, healthy, but he keeps eating all of my scarlet hermits. Over the last few weeks he has devoured 6 of 10 I had in there. So...he's working on a $30 meal! Not good.
My question is, are there other crabs that will do the same great job, but will NOT be a snack for my cleaner??? Please help as I can't afford to keep replacing hermits!!!

nm reef

Hmmmmmmmmm...I have never had any reason to suspect a cleaner shrimp of munching live and healthy hermits. Maybe dead and decaying hermits....but not live and healthy ones. I keep numerous hermits with a pair of cleaners and never have had a problem.

jessecnc

NM...I've seen him grab one off the rock while the hermit is eating, carry him over to HIS part of the tank, and rip that little sucker right out. Now I can't say how live and healthy the crab was, was being the key word. And as time goes on I see more and more red legs laying about the tank. The hermits he's grabbing are small...I'd say about the size of a pencil eraser without the shell. Maybe I just have a weird cleaner. Either way he's still well worth the entertainment. Maybe I'll try another emerald or two...

inkman2004

I had a sally lightfoot that was molting a few nights ago and when I woke up my cleaner shrimp was eating the thing while it was soft. It hadn't even come completely out of his shell.