Something taste tested my Derasa

jackri

There are a couple of small chunks missing -- the one circle in the middle of the clam is just a part of the mantle ripped off and setting there.. no actual hole there.
He had been closed but healthy for most of a week while I've been working 12hr shifts and the last two days he's been fully open. Well looking closely someone has been biting at him. Culprit? Probably my yellow bellied blue hippo tang that's 4-5 inches. I know my cleaner shrimp has aggravated the clam a few times but to make those rips? Gotta be a tang right? I have a yellow tang, 6-line, perc, yellow tail damsel and a chromis for other tank mates. The other shrimp don't bother him or go near him. The last two additions were the blue tang and cleaner shrimp though. I have a maxima and crocea completely left alone.
Anyone ever deal with this? If I see anymore I guess he's going to the frag tank.

pallan

use eggcrate to make a cage around him let him heal.... leave cage on for a good amount of time maybe a month or so.... tang will no longer see him as food if he cant get to him... least worked for me

jackri

He hasn't touched him since or my other two clams at all. If that were the case instead of making a cage the clam would just go in my frag tank. No big deal other than I like him in my DT.