Something to get rid of phosphate

I

ivanfj

I've been having this high phosphate problem for a long time and I know plant life would help maintaining desired phosphate level. My tank is a 20g nano, so I don't have tones of room for plants. I am thinking to do an in-tank fuge, putting plant life in there, but I don't really wanna see the plants. I don't have the superb lighting in the world. Can anyone suggest a plant??? Freshwater plants doesn't work right??? If you have picture, that would be great!!! Thanks.

ags

Have you tried finding the source of the phosphates and elimanting it? I know this seems obvious but it is better to find the source and eliminate it. If not try using a phosphate sponge.
What kind of water do you use? If you are using tap water that could be a potential source. Switch to RO/DI water if you are.

I

ivanfj

I tested my tap everytime i do top off (once a week) and water changes (every two weeks) and every time both phosphate and nitrate are 0. That's why I decided to take the short-cut and go ahead and use tap. I 've been running some phosphate sponge for a little over 3 weeks of time now. Maybe I'll give it another two weeks and see if the sponge and get rid of some if not all the phosphate.
Do you think plants can be the solution????~~~

giarc

Be aware that hobbyist phosphate test kits do not detect levels of phosphate that are still high enough to cause problems. Your tap water may contain problematic phosphate levels even if your test kit reads zero. AGS gave you good advice on switching to RO/DI water.
Plants like caulerpera will take up phosphate and don;t need super lighting to grow, but you have to harvest it regularly to remove it from your system or else it just gets recycled when the plants get eaten or they die and decay. Caulerpera may also release some low levels of toxins into the water and potentially be a problem for corals.
Make sure you use fish foods that are as low in phosphate as possible, and feed sparingly.
You could also use a phosphate absorbing substance such as Rowphos (best IMHO) or Phosban to bring the problem under control.

I

ivanfj

Ok thanks. Yah I know RO/DI water is the way to go but I really couldn't afford one right now. We here sell them a few hundred bucks even for a small setup. Anyone know anything the tap water filter??? It says it deionizes the water and what exactly is that mean???

nm reef

Before adding macro algaes to your display I'd seriously consider the source of the phosphates and work from there. Your choice of water source could very well be your problem. Other sources would be from feeding...and possibly from some additives. The info above was dead on in regard to possible complications from using caulperas and/or assorted other macro algaes. If it were me I'd consider using a quality phosphate sponge product(I've used Kents with success)...swith over to a RO or RO/DI water source...limit feedings to small amounts and use quality products...and I'd consider a refugium with macro alkgaes where you could easily harvest and discard them to export excess nutrients including phosphates. I'd also insure the test kit was correct...what brand of phosphate test are you using. I use salifert and my water source reads non-detectable as does my display.

I

ivanfj

It's probably the tap I used but honestly every time the test to the tap is crytal clear where when I do for my tank, it's absolute blueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I feed my fish a very small amount every day. I only add some phytoplankton once a week and nothing else. The salt I use to mix the water is said to be phosphate free. I know RO/DI is the best way to solve this problem but I can't afford to go that way due to $$$. Water changes probably won't work. I am trying phosphate sponge right now. Is there any other way??
This is starting to get a little discouraging. What exactly would high phosphate do to corals???

brians

Have you tried looking in a grocery store for a r/o water vending machine? I have a Giant Eagle by me with a Glacier water machine and a Walmart with a Culligan water machine. These machines are RO, DI, UV,.. all that good stuff. At the Walmart machine it is only $0.33 a gallon and about once a month I go get 25 gallons for only $9. I get some funny looks though pushing around a cart filled with 5 five gallon jugs. :)

I

ivanfj

Hmmm, BrianS, thanks for pointing that out. I'll check out how much/gal my grocery store sell their RO. Hopefully not that $$$. If it were to be $0.33/gal, and I usually do a 2gal water changes every 2 weeks, then that would be just about $3/month. Am I doing the math right??? If that is the case, it might be better than spending money on phosphate sponges.

ags

I have purchased RO/Di water from grocery stores and LFS and have seen a great deal of variation in price. The most I have encountered per gallon is $.60 (US). I have yet to buy a RO/DI system for a lot of reasons, the biggest one is to give me another reason to hit my LFS. :D