something very wrong with my Zoas...plese help.

handbanana

Originally Posted by pepito113
http:///forum/post/3281871
Sorry for bringing this up but do the clown fish have Ich??? They appear to have white spots on them?
No worries man, They dont have Ich. Just dirty glass. Both inside and out. I can see what you mean inpost 14 though. Do you see spots on both? I can post better pics of both of the if need be. I only see the dirty glass spots on one.
My fear is that they are actully two diff types of clowns since ones lighter than the other. IDK tho.
Heres my LED's

J

jstdv8

Ive seen some really great builds on here and other forums of people doing them themselves. King neptune has a thread going of his witha cost breakdown and stuff. IMO right now the LED DIY is the way to go as very few of the commercial made ones are very good (using cheap lights and equipment) and the ones that are ok are very spendy.
Personally I'd stick with the MH's and the supplimental blue LED's you have until they get this LED thing a little more down pat. It's like the computer bussiness 10 years ago. by the time you purchased a new computer off the shelf at best buy it was allready obsolete. this part of the lighting industry is growinga nd changing so fast it's just crazy!

J

jstdv8

how about a shot fo the whole tank with and without the blues on?
FEED ME!

posiden

LED's can and DO compare, and even out perform MH. Its very interesting to see the PAR readings on LED's in deep water.
Still to new for me and still too much cash for me. As mentioned about the computers.......the first LED fixtures used a LED that is no longer used. Its not powerful enough. I am not even close to one who knows anything about lighting but, LED might just be the ticket. That is if it ever levels out. I can't stand the fact that the computer I just bought is obsolete in 3 months. I guess that's called progress.

handbanana

I know exactly what yo mean with computers being obsolete 2 months after you buy them. Its a major PIA.
Its all about money.
here are some lights on/ lights off pics. Sorry if ther no the best but for some reason photobucket really screwed me. says I already have an account, which of coarse I dont. I dont think my phone camera does the blueness justice.
I dont see how LED's could ever stack up to MH's unless they were very high wattage and about 9000 of them. IDK tho.
had to put the firefish in too cuz I've never seen such a pissed off lookin fish

J

jstdv8

On that note, one other thing that makes LED's more attractive is that there arent going to be any more incadecent light bulbs sold after 2012. All of our house light buls will be replaced by copact flourecents, florecents or LED's. So I'm guessing that being that MH's are energy suckers that they eventually will become no more as well.
I like your rock work :)

posiden

As far as I know the magnetic ballasts of MH do suck the juice, however the electronic or digital ballasts don't. They run real close to the rating. A 600 watt magnitect ballast will draw close to 800 watts of power. I like my new Lumatek MH ballast. I can choose the wattage bulb I run. I have a 250 watt ballast and I am running a 175 watt bulb on it.
LED's give a more pronounced shimmer to the tank then a halide. In shallow water MH's out perform LEDs. However in deep water the LEDs out preform the MH's.(PAR readings) LEDs are able to be ramped up and down in intensity unlike halides. LEDs don't offer the spectrum that halides do.......yet.ect,ect,ect...Sorry I know this isn't a lighting thread.
LEDs do offer great advantages, but I think it is too new for me. Maybe some day.
I too like your rock work. Do you have any plans on additional flow?

speg

Back to the original question about the zoas:
They seem to be inverting themselves. I personally find this is due to temperature increases that the coral hasn't yet adjusted to. It doesn't necessairly mean that the coral is going to die, but it hasn't yet adjusted.
Mine have done this when they were first introduced to a tank where the temp is higher than they're used to but usually end up doing fine and stop the behavior once they become more used to the temp.
If you can possibly keep the temp from moving as much as it is then you'll probably notice that they stop inverting.
In short: 82-83 isn't bad at all! I'd just assume that the coral isn't used to it yet and is attempting to adjust.

posiden

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3280952
Thank you for the responses,
The tank was Indeed used. the origonal owner said that she replaced the bulbs every few months but who knows.

I have upgraded the actitinic lighting to LED's and it looks wicked, Ill have to go home and get the specs on what they were cuz I dont remember right now. I wanted to upgrade the daylight as well but the LED strip was twice the amount of the blues and I would need at least two.
I moved the Zoas up to the top of the tank but the looked as if they were getting stung by something so now their down low again.

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3281678
Thanks Debbie :)
I moved the lil zoas lower and the seem better, Im going to put them at the level of my zoas that are thriving. see what happens.
I cant wait to get the daylight LEDs, eliminate some of my heat issues
Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Speg

http:///forum/post/3282327
Back to the original question about the zoas:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The above posts make me think its light oriented. Temp was covered in the first few posts.

handbanana

Thank you all for the responses.
First things first I guess. Thank you for the complements on the rock work. :D
I like it too, a lot, but am tring to find space for a little bit more LR. Its getting cramped.
I really need to get on something for flow. A small PH is definately in order. I like the small oceanic brand PH, IDK. Also If I was to put a PH with a magnetic base on the back, would it be ok to have the otherside of the magnet submerged in the back of the Biocube? I was wondering about that.
I moved my Zoas down to about two inches above the substrait. They look bland, colorless. I feed Mysis and a bit of marine cusine but IDK if that is what they want.