something weird on my live rock

feixjai

i just noticed this little thing. i have no idea what it is and it doesnt match with anything on the hitchhiker identification place. it looks like a really really small feather duster but i dont know if it is. it is only 1mm. there are about 10 little leg like things sticking out in a group like if you made a claw with your hand and all your fingers and its gray. what is it!! ill try to get a picture but my stupid camera cant even zoom in!! ill try and take pics of it but i doubt you can see it.

mwaraxa

I dunno. IMO it kinda looks like a feather duster starting to grow a crown. But it is alittle blury but it reminds me of mine when a smaller feather started a new crown for me.

lillibirdy

I recently had something very similar. I was told if you put a bit of food on its crown and it closes around it, it is more than likely aptasia. Also heard that feather dusters will suck the crown in and leave the tube, but my little thingy sucked the whole tube thing into the rock... I was hoping for a feather duster, but mine was the pesty aptasia. Your crown looks less anenome like.......hard to tell.

feixjai

thanks for all the replys. what kind of food can i give it. i just fed my fish with frozen brine shrimp and just finish didnt read the replys quick enough to know to feed it. what can i feed it?
i just tried to feed it flakes but when i opened the hood and put my hand in there it kind of went away like a sucked itself in. and then it came back up. then i put a piece of flakes near it and when the flake touched it, it sucked back in until the flake went away then he went back up and out. what can it be?

mwaraxa

I agree. Sounds like a feather duster. They are filter feeders. So you won't be able to throw food at them and get them to eat. You need to add a phytoplankton or something. I'm no expert though so don't ask me what to recommend.

ophiura

It appears to be a feather duster and it requires no special care. This is not a large species - several smaller species are found in our LR and often "bloom" in response to changing nutrient loads in the tank as it matures. Check the "hich hiker ID" thread at the top of this forum.

monalisa

I agree, that definitely looks like a featherduster to me. I have a piece of "base" rock that came with at least a dozen of those little guys on. Filter feeders. Unfortunately for me, that same rock came in with hair algae, so I'm trying to figure out what to do about that. At this point, scrubbing the rock is not really an option without giving up my FDs...it may have to come to that... :scared:
Lisa :happyfish