Something wrong with sand?

mnieder

When I got home from school today I went to my room to feed my fish. When I got there there was a lot of brown stuff on top of the sand and the sand has lots of tiny air bubbles coming out of it. Is this a problem and what do i need to do to fix it?

geoj

If it is a shallow sand bed you can siphon it.
A book if your so inclined
Algae: A Problem Solver Guide by: Julian Sprung
How old is the tank
Nitrate?
Phosphate?
Silicate?

rigdon87

Originally Posted by mnieder
http:///forum/post/3161788
When I got home from school today I went to my room to feed my fish. When I got there there was a lot of brown stuff on top of the sand and the sand has lots of tiny air bubbles coming out of it. Is this a problem and what do i need to do to fix it?
sounds like dinoflagellates or diatoms but hard to diagnose with out a picture.
does it look like this??

mnieder

in the back it is like that except not a tall and in the rest of the tank it is just on the surface of the sand. Will put a pic up later tonight
ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

ophiura

What circulation do you have in the tank, specifically near the bottom? Do you use tap water? How long do you leave your lights on?
In most cases, this is caused by water quality, tap water, lights to long or too old, overfeeding, overstocking, lack of right clean up crew, circulation and overall maintenance.
This means it can be fixed, but it takes patience. Almost everyone goes through this stage

9supratt4

I still think it looks like cyano....I think by tomorrow it will be like a thick carpet.
But whatever it is, you may need more current sweeping over the top of the sand