Somewhat of an update with more questions

imurnamine

Okay, as some of you recall, about a week ago I posted about my green and orange zoos not doing too well.
The orange ones are completely gone. : (
The green ones aren't looking great, they're more of a brownish green now, but they're alive. We have to get our water tested again soon, last time everything was fine.
Anyhow, the new questions.
Our tank has gotten algae FEVER! We have to scrub the tank like three times a day! When we wake up, we turn on the blue acts., and before we leave, we turn on the main light, too. We will be gone for 7 - 10 hours, then when we get home, we turn the main light off and leave the actinic on for another or hour or so, then lights out. It's RIDICULOUS! You can't even see the water sometimes! How do I get rid of this?
Also... Are there any chemicals I should be putting in my tank (Essential Elements, Purple Up, etc.)?
..and what does a UV Sterilizer do?

bs21

what type of water are you using? tap water/RO/premixed saltwater? Could you be overfeeding the tank? Excess nutrients are usually the cause of problematic algea blooms. I missed the other thread could you post some info about your tank like how long its been up, parameters, and what type of light you have?
edit: I just saw your other thread about the zoas. I think it said you moved howlong has the tank been up since then? Could be having a mini cycle?

imurnamine

RO, always RO.
Tanks been up for about 5 - 6 months. 65 watt lights, the people at the LFS said itd be okay.

reefkprz

37g tank with 65w of light is not a lot of light.. in fact its very little light. that would be my first guess. algae would be phosphates (if your testing zero phosphates its because your algae is consuming it down to an untestable level....... but they are still getting introduced and feeding the algae.