Somthing other than live rock?

topofsteel

I have a 55 gallon FOWLR and I want to put something other than just live rock in it. Is there any plants or coral or anything i can put in it? I don't have just regular lights and can't afford anything else right now. Thanks.

hagfish

If you look on the classified section of this site (and other sites) you can probably get a used 48" pc light for about the cost of a single coral ($40-50). That's my suggestion.
Now there are things you could buy, but typically cost close to as much as a used pc light, which is why I mentioned that first. You could get a sun coral, tube anemone, feather dusters (many kinds out there), non-photosynthetic gorgonians, and non-photosynthetic sponges. You may even be able to find some tunicates or sea squirts. Flame scallops are colorful and non-photosynthetic as well.
Most, if not all of these require manual feeding of various things. Also, most of them are at least moderately difficult to keep. I suggest researching any you might purchase individually.
I still recommend saving a little and just getting a cheap PC light because then you can really get quite a lot of things.

fishtk75

Originally Posted by Nymustang7
What does pc light mean?And can i get them for my 90 gallon tank?
that is power compact florescent light -PC for short there is alot shortcuts we all use to words.

hagfish

PC stands for Power Compact. It's a more powerful type of lighting than what normally comes with aquariums (NO or normal output lights).
Here are the aquarium lights I suggest you do a search on and research on this and other sites. They are listed in order from least to most powerful...
NO - normal output
PC - power compact
VHO - Very high output (VHO and PC are about the same intensity and price)
t5 - high output lights (highly recommend individual reflectors for each bulb as that is what makes these better than others)
MH - metal halide
You can probably find PC fixtures up to 72" in length, although I'm not positive about that as I've never looked for that size. I know you can get 2 36" fixtures though. 48" is common too.

topofsteel

Actually I made a top/light out of a 4' fluorescent shop light. While planing my aquarium I was going to go with VHO retrofit kit and build a canopy. I ran into some unexpected expenses so i am making do. But a used PC sounds like a great idea. Would a PC enable me to get an anemone? My tank is 18" deep, thanks.

hagfish

On that tank, if you can get 220 watts of PC you could keep a bulb tip anemone. I don't recommend any others though. Send me an email at waynehags@yahoo.com and I can tell you of some other places to get some used lights.