sources of garlic

rkmayphd

For those of you that soak your food in garlic- what source of garlic did you use? My LFS gave me (yes gave me) some Kent Garlic Xtreme.
I priced it, and it is a little pricey. Are there other more economical sources of garlic to soak food in? FOr example, some food grade garlic bought at the grocery?
Thanks in advance.

rs1831

I have garlic extreme but I have been using real garlic more and more. Its cheaper and its better for the fish. Check out Beth's thread in the Disease and treatment forum.

n2theblue

I agree with rs1831, I was using garlic exterme but have switched to using real garlic. I just prepare as directed in Beth's thread and the fish seem to really like it. Besides being cheaper, I think it smells better than the bottled stuff.

dut

McCormacks Garlic extract is what I use. I got it from Food lion for next to nothing. :)
Was reccommended widely at a different forum I frequent and I have only good things to say about it.

stanlalee

a glove of garlic cost next to nothing and last me for several weeks of daily soaking. From what I understand the immune boosting properties require the juices from fresh garlic. to enhance appetite it doesn't matter. According to the FAQ allicin, the component responsible for disease repellant is released and quickly broken down once the garlic is cut and placed in the water to be soaked. wonder if garlic extreme and other products somehow preserve that component from breaking down

turbonerd

Originally Posted by rs1831
Check out Beth's thread in the Disease and treatment forum.
got a link to the thread? or the title of the thread? thanks!